The Earth Day Network (EDN), one of the largest and most recognizable faces of the environmental movement, recently reported that more than a billion people in 192 countries will take action today to protect our shared environment on Earth Day, which this year is being held April 22.
This year, EDN is raising the stakes. The organization reported it will begin the four-year countdown to Earth Day’s 50thanniversary in 2020, by pledging to plant 7.8 billion trees worldwide – one for every person on Earth.
At CenturyLink, we are proud to join those who already use this day to focus on urgent environmental needs in order to protect our children’s futures.
In fact, today we are taking the opportunity to share our company’s 2015 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) brochure, which details our overall commitment to environment stewardship and community investment. We focus on the following ways to promote and practice intelligent use of resources:
- Technology transformation
- Environmental health and safety management programs
- Collaborative solutions
- Resources and waste management
- Climate preparedness
Some highlights of our focus and commitment:
- Implementation of energy-efficiency measures in our data centers resulted in an estimated annual energy savings in 2015 of more than 19 million kilowatt hours and a reduction of an estimated 13,101 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (Co2e). This 13,101 metric tons is estimated to be equivalent to a reduction of more than 31 million miles driven by an average passenger vehicle.
- Switch consolidations resulted in an estimated annual energy savings of more than 5.9 million kilowatt hours. This equates to an estimated 9.7 million miles driven in an average passenger vehicle.
- More than 1,000 company locations collected, securely shredded and recycled more than 3.4 million pounds of paper. This is saving the equivalent of more than 29,000 trees or avoiding more than 2.4 million pounds of CO2e.
For more information on CenturyLink’s commitment to environmental stewardship and community investments, please review our 2015 CSR report. Happy #EarthDay2016!