100G Wire-Speed Encryption Proof of Concept Confirms Secure Submarine Data Traffic on AEConnect Cable System Between New York and London
DUBLIN, Ireland – April 12, 2016 — Aqua Comms Limited (“Aqua Comms”), a provider of scalable, subsea capacity-based network solutions, today announces it has successfully completed a proof of concept of Ciena’s® (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings) WaveLogic Encryption solution, demonstrating the ability to safeguard all data at the optical layer on its high-capacityAmerica-Europe Connect (“AEConnect”) cable system, a critical route that spans more than 5,400 km across the Atlantic. This confirms that Ciena’s FIPS-certified encryption solution will secure Aqua Comm’s submarine network to address government-mandated regulations for the protection of in-flight data over vast transoceanic distances.
- AEConnect is the newest subsea cable system powering a direct, diverse route from existing transatlantic systems, connecting New York to Europe. It supports metro networks and data centre interconnectivity (DCI) to all of the major data centres in Dublin, London and New York.
- Aqua Comms conducted the live 100G wire-speed encryption proof of concept with Ciena’s WaveLogic Encryption solution, adding robust security across along the transatlantic route. The proof of concept also leveraged Ciena’s MyCryptoTool, a dedicated management interface that enables end-users to set up and independently manage all encrypted services and security parameters remotely, without the need for costly site visits, of particular value in subsea applications where “remote” denotes across the ocean.
- Aqua Comms conducted this proof of concept to validate its ability to provide added security to data in-flight, giving customers the assurance that critical data is secure and protected across its international network. AEConnect can support all applicable protocols, without bandwidth constraints, protecting data in private networks, data centres, and cloud environments.
This proof of concept follows Aqua Comms network expansion utilizing Ciena’s GeoMesh solution and 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, powered by WaveLogic 3 Extreme coherent optics, for highly flexible, low-latency and reliable international connectivity. X-SES Consultants, an advisor to Aqua Comms, witnessed the proof of concept testing ensuring all requirements were satisfied.
- “By assessing Ciena’s Wavelogic Encryption solution to safeguard traffic across the Atlantic we proved the capabilities of our infrastructure. As a result, our web-scale provider, enterprise, and government customers can rely on the AEConnect subsea system for high-capacity and reliability, international connectivity and the highest levels of security.”
- Greg Varisco, Chief Operating Officer, Aqua Comms Limited
- “Encryption is the most secure and cost effective way to protect data as it traverses networks and cloud environments. Wire-speed encryption has the least effect on network performance, availability, and latency. This successful field trial demonstration of transatlantic encryption expands the potential of this crucial technology to cover global networks.”
- Richard Marshall, CEO, X-SES Consultants
- Aqua Comms is being very proactive with its development of the AEConnect fibre optic cable system. This high-capacity link is already optimised for coherent technology and designed with future technologies, such as Software-Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Functions Virtualisation (NFV), in mind. With encryption capabilities, AEConnect can combine cost-effective, high-capacity connectivity with security – making it one of the most compelling global links.”
- Ed McCormack, Vice President and General Manager of Submarine Systems at Ciena
About Aqua Comms Limited
Aqua Comms Limited (Aqua Comms) is the owner and operator of the transatlantic cable AEConnect and the Irish Sea cable CeltixConnect, and was established to build, acquire or merge with subsea fiber optic cable networks to provide capacity networking solutions to the global media, content providers and IT companies. To learn more about Aqua Comms and its new transatlantic subsea cable system, AEConnect, visit www.AquaComms.com.
Aqua Comms Contacts:
Chief Operations Officer, Aqua Comms Limited
Tel: +353 1 662 4399
Ilissa Miller iMiller Public Relations for Aqua Comms Limited
Tel: +1 866 307 2510 firstname.lastname@example.org