The $43 million facility is tailor-made to provide financial services firms, cloud and content providers with data center and interconnection services
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and TOKYO, March 9, 2016 /PRNewswire/ — Equinix, Inc. (EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the opening of its latest International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in the Japanese capital, Tokyo, known as TY5. The new $43 million facility will support strong demand from local and global enterprises including financial services firms, as well as cloud and content providers who are increasingly relying on data center colocation and interconnection services in Tokyo.
Earlier this month Equinix announced that it will open four new IBX data centers in Dallas, São Paulo, Sydney and Tokyo, to create more capacity for global companies to connect to their partners, customers and employees. These organic additions with the recent acquisition of Bit-isle in Japan and Telecity in EMEA will expand Equinix’s global interconnection platform to nearly 150 data centers by the end of the year. By providing additional capacity in the coming year, Equinix continues to play a central role in advancing the digital economy’s interconnected era, in which businesses are demanding increasing levels of interconnection to accelerate business performance.
- The launch of the TY5 IBX data center follows hard on the heels of the recently completed acquisition of one of Japan’s leading service providers – Bit-isle – which more than doubled Equinix’s footprint in the country. These developments also boost the Equinix presence in Asia-Pacific, which is the company’s fastest growing region.
- According to research by Forrester, the data center market in Japan is forecasted to reach $14.2 billion in 2016. The new TY5 datacenter will help Equinix to meet these demands, further enabling domestic and multinational companies to expand into the growing Japan market and access over 1,100 domestic and international network providers within Platform Equinix™, including local Japanese carriers and international carriers such as Softbank, PCCW Global, BT and AT&T.
- Equinix customers in Japan already include some of the country’s largest companies. Over 60 financial services firms, including multiple FX matching engines such as ICAP, FXCM, Fastmatch and LMAX, are now connecting to Equinix’s established financial ecosystem of existing and potential customers and partners. With the official launch of TY5, Equinix expects the number of enterprises across the region signing up to access its rich ecosystem to accelerate still further.
- TY5 will provide a total capacity of 725 cabinets with 350 available immediately and a further 375 in the second phase of development. With 54,663 square feet of space, TY5 is located in a single tenant facility for improved design and physical security, with 24x7x365 security officers and CCTV.
- Situated near the existing TY3 IBX data center as well as Tokyo’s financial district, TY5 is also very close to the Japan Exchange and Tokyo Commodity Exchange that houses over 3,400 listed companies and has a total market capitalization of $4.47 trillion. Proximity to these exchanges enables TY5 to provide financial services companies with reliable, low-latency connectivity to key financial institutions and business partners, boosting speed of trading and accelerating business outcomes. TY3 and TY5 will be considered within the same campus with dark optical fiber connecting the two IBX data centers.
- With the opening of TY5, Platform Equinix now includes over 145 data centers in 40 markets around the world.
- Samuel Lee, president, Equinix Asia-Pacific:
“Equinix continues to invest in our global interconnection platform which is now available in 40 markets to meet the changing IT needs of businesses around the world. TY5 represents a landmark development for Equinix in Japan, as well as a catalyst that will further accelerate the financial services industry across the entire APAC region.”
- Equinix to Launch Four New Data Centers, Globally, to Further Advance IT Transformation in the Interconnected Era [press release]
- Equinix Expansion Continues With 4 New Data Centers on 4 Continents [blog]
- Equinix to Build New $43M Data Center in Tokyo [press release]
Equinix, Inc. (EQIX) connects the world’s leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 40 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
“This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix’s recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.”
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.