- Ultra-low latency system used as a communication platform connecting robots to a central server to enable fast and synchronized collaboration
- 5G will help create a fully automated and flexible production system, increasing overall manufacturing and logistics productivity.
22 Feburary, 2016
Beijing, China – China Mobile and Nokia Networks demonstrate 5G-enabled synchronized collaboration of robots at Mobile World Congress 2016 in Barcelona. 5G networks will address important aspects of industry automation, helping to create fully automated and flexible production systems and increasing overall manufacturing and logistics productivity.
The joint demonstration shows potential 5G applications in machine-to-machine communications in the industrial automation era. The ultra-low latency system is used as a communication platform connecting the robots to a central server, resulting in fast and synchronized collaboration to balance a ball on a moving platform. Once the user moves a ball in any direction, the robots coordinate and react to keep to ball at its pre-defined location.
Closed-loop control applications in industry automation will require virtual zero latency and high reliability to prevent equipment failure, production interuption, or even loss of life. 5G will provide this, meaning manufacturing industries will be better equipped to achieve their productivity targets through a unified, computing infrastructure instead of today's fragmented industrial standards.
Recent highlights of the successful co-operation between China Mobile and Nokia Networks:
- Nokia Networks, China Mobile sign MoU to cooperate on 5G development. Agreement covers work on the research, standardization and industrialization of key 5G features such as multi-connectivity and high-speed seamless mobility
- China Mobile demonstrates 220 Mbps peak data transmission rates based on 3.5 GHz interband TD-LTE-Advanced carrier aggregation at Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2015
- Nokia Networks, China Mobile and Ooredoo achieve 4.1 Gbps speed with TDD-FDD carrier aggregation
- Nokia Networks, China Mobile triple TD-LTE throughput using 3 carrier aggregation at Mobile World Congress 2015 in Barcelona
- Nokia Networks, Shanghai Mobile show world’s first TD-LTE-Advanced small cell carrier aggregation in a live operator network
Huang Yuhong, Vice President of China Mobile Research Institute, said: “5G, with the key features of ultra high capacity, ultra low latency, high reliability and low power consumption, will make the impossible use cases of today the realities of tomorrow. Autonomous manufacturing with massive use of robots is one such use case. 5G will provide the network infrastructure for the China Manufacturing 2025 initiative..”
Mike Wang, President of Greater China of Nokia Networks, General Manager of Alcatel-Lucent Shanghai Bell and head of the Joint Management Team, Nokia Networks China and ASB said: “As one of the first 5G strategic partners with China Mobile, we work together on the research, standardization and industrialization of key 5G features. The robots collaboration demonstration is the first time both parties are jointly showing a 5G use case. In the future, we will explore more possibilities that 5G will bring to different industries and our lives, to jointly develop the programmable world.”
Did you know?
- Nokia is a major force behind 5G research and industry collaboration. The company leads and actively contributes to joint industry work, standardization, spectrum and regulatory discussions, and participates in collaborative research such as Europe’s 5G PPP (5G Infrastructure Public Private Partnership). It is the technical coordinator of the METIS-II project and leads the 5G NORMA consortium which defines the 5G architecture.
- Nokia has established a broad range of innovation partnerships on 5G. We are running 5G innovation projects with major operators including China Mobile, NTT DOCOMO, Korea Telecom, SK Telecom and Deutsche Telekom.
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. http://nokia.com
Phone: +358 (0) 10 448 4900
Phone: +86 10 5896 5204
- See more at: http://networks.nokia.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/china-mobile-nokia-show-5g-enabled-ultra-fast-robot-collaboration-mwc16#sthash.FAd1u6ny.dpuf