WaveLogic Encryption solution meets stringent regulation requirements and provides added assurance for business-critical in-flight data
HANOVER, Md.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–
In today’s web-scale world, where more and more applications reside in the cloud, businesses need the assurance that their data is secure not only at rest but also in-flight. An industry first and backed by Ciena’s (CIEN) industry-leading coherent optics, the WaveLogic Encryption solution offers new optical-layer encryption capabilities to match high capacity infrastructure needs – from 10G to 100G, 200G and beyond, from metro to ultra-long haul distances – providing a simple-to-implement, always-on, data encryption solution.
- A range of security solutions exist today to protect data at-rest. However, high volumes of critical data are continuously in-flight, traveling beyond the walls of the data center and across large networks. Additionally, an increasing number of government mandated regulations for data protection have made securing in-flight data a higher priority in networks. With Ciena’s WaveLogic Encryption solution, data can now be secured as it leaves the private cloud and protected as it traverses across the network, across any distance, without sacrificing the end user experience.
- Ciena’s WaveLogic Encryption solution addresses all infrastructure needs and provides added network security for service providers and large enterprises, such as financial service firms, healthcare and government organizations. The solution is FIPS-certified and meets the highest security standards recognized globally in the industry. Powered by Ciena’s WaveLogic 3 Extreme chipset, the solution provides software programmable modulation to enable both 100G encryption with QPSK modulation and 200G encryption with 16QAM modulation – an industry first.
- WaveLogic Encryption is simple to deploy and protocol agnostic, meaning it simultaneously encrypts any traffic type coming into the network, including Ethernet, Fibre Channel, OTN, IP, SONET, and SDH. It encrypts the entire wavelength before the data leaves the building or data center, and transports it transparently with virtually no added latency, making efficient use of network resources and maintaining quality of end-customer experience.
- Additionally, Ciena’s software-based MyCryptoTool features a dedicated management user portal that provides full control to the end enterprise user or security officer to manage all security parameters.
- The solution will be generally available in the first calendar quarter of 2016.
- “High profile security breaches are commonplace in the news today. Service providers tell Heavy Reading repeatedly that security risks are the number one concern when they talk to their enterprise customers today. These concerns are only rising as more and more data moves to the cloud. And, while encryption inside the data center or enterprise campus is well established, service providers are now realizing that encryption of in-flight data is an important component of their holistic security strategy. By integrating security functions directly into its coherent chipsets, Ciena’s WaveLogic Encryption provides protection from breaches for all high capacity links, something we believe will be well-received by both service providers and their end customers.”
– Sterling Perrin, Senior Analyst, Heavy Reading
- “In the EU, as with the rest of the world, data security is high on the agenda. New regulations and legislation are coinciding with expanding bandwidth needs, making it vital that we support our customers with solutions that provide additional security measures by encrypting data in-flight. As Ciena’s encryption solution helps to ensure the best possible safeguards with no impact on service or latency we are already seeing take-up of these new capabilities, in fact we are currently deploying the 200G encryption solution for a customer in the Dutch finance sector.”
– Geert Degezelle, Managing Director, Telindus
- “We are proud to offer a world-class network experience to our customers. As part of that commitment, we are constantly exploring new ways to secure our network and protect our end customers’ data – not only at the application layer, but also at the network layer. Following our successful 200G Encryption network trial with Ericsson and Ciena, and with the ability to now implement WaveLogic Encryption, a FIPS-certified solution, across our network, customers can be assured they are receiving best-in-class connectivity and service.”
– David Robertson, Director, Transport and Routing Engineering, Telstra
- “Safeguarding critical data has become a major priority in today’s web-scale world. Previous infrastructure solutions have been cumbersome to manage and burdened by separate boxes, impacting throughput and latency. Our new WaveLogic Encryption solution is simple to deploy and provides a strong and effective defense with an additional level of protection to enable end-to-end security.”
– Francois Locoh-Donou, Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Ciena
- On Tuesday, January 26 at 11 a.m. ET, Ciena will host a webinar, “Don’t Let Your Network Be a Security Leak.” The webinar will feature Sterling Perrin, Senior Analyst at Heavy Reading with Ciena’s Patrick Scully, Director, Product Line Management and Paulina Gomez, Product and Technical Marketing. Click here to register.
- Video: In the Labs with Ciena’s WaveLogic Encryption
- Blog: WaveLogic Encryption Brings Effortless In-Flight Data to the Masses
- Infographic: 24/7 Data Security with Optical Encryption
- Application Note: WaveLogic Encryption solution
Ciena (CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-K, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on December 21, 2015. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.