10G ports on Equinix Cloud Exchange provide more bandwidth to meet enterprise customers’ needs
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Dec. 3, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — Equinix, Inc. (EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that EarthLink is leveraging the Equinix Cloud Exchange™ for direct connectivity to cloud and enterprise customers as part of the EarthLink Cloud Express™ product. As a leading managed network, security and cloud solutions provider EarthLink has been able to increase time to market and scale where the Equinix Cloud Exchange is available to meet their changing business needs.
Highlights / Key Facts
- EarthLink has been working with Equinix for over a decade, having utilized the Equinix expanding footprint of data centers to interconnect and peer with bandwidth providers, backbone networks and large content providers. Today EarthLink operates a nationwide network spanning more than 28,000 fiber route miles, with 90 metro fiber rings and secure data centers that provide ubiquitous data and voice IP service coverage. The Equinix Cloud Exchange means that EarthLink can connect to many participants (clouds, networks, enterprise customers), while enabling dynamic bandwidth allocation among various parties, and all over redundant high-speed network interconnects.
- EarthLink leveraged Equinix Global Solution Architects and the Equinix Solution Validation Centers to develop an API and custom portal development for its myLink® portal, providing Cloud Express customers real time information on their cloud connections, via a single pane of glass. This increased flexibility helps EarthLink reach enterprise customers that are increasingly turning to cloud-based solutions to meet their IT needs while also addressing application performance issues. According to a recent Forrester study1, enterprises have experienced on average of a 40% reduction in bandwidth costs by using Equinix.
- EarthLink’s portfolio of secure services improve cloud and business application performance while protecting against security threats. The Equinix Cloud Exchange improves end-user experience through predictable network performance, which is increasingly important for EarthLink’s retail customers who now experience added benefits as they continue to adopt cloud-based point-of-sale solutions.
- The Equinix Cloud Exchange allows businesses to deploy hybrid cloud architectures for essential business applications by providing access to leading cloud service providers such as AWS, Microsoft Azure ExpressRoute, Google Cloud Platform and IBM SoftLayer, via a private, high-speed, low-latency connection that bypasses the public Internet.
- By providing access on the Equinix Cloud Exchange, EarthLink Cloud Express delivers secure, direct high-performance connections to leading cloud service providers. Easy to deploy and operate, these virtual network circuits are quickly provisioned, scalable, and have no traditional access costs.
- Stephen Currie, vice president of Managed Services Product Management, EarthLink:
“Companies turn to EarthLink for design of custom networks that match their unique operational demands, obtain better performance from their existing investments, and privately connect to cloud resources. By leveraging the Equinix Cloud Exchange through Cloud Express we can rapidly and securely connect to the top cloud providers that matter most to our customers, while also optimizing their cloud-based performance.”
- Ryan Mallory, vice president, Technology:
“It is great to see existing customers such as EarthLink continue to leverage Equinix and our resources such as our Global Solution Architects to innovate in new ways. The deployment of their API and portal on Cloud Exchange allows them to connect to the top cloud service providers and ultimately drive competitive advantage.”
EarthLink (EarthLink Holdings Corp., NASDAQ: ELNK) provides managed network, security and cloud solutions for multi-location businesses. We help thousands of specialty retailers, restaurants, financial institutions, healthcare providers, professional service firms and local governments deliver a reliable and engaging customer experience in their stores and branch offices. We do so by building and managing MPLS WAN networks, by providing virtualized infrastructure, security, hosted voice, secure WiFi and compliance solutions, and by offering exceptional customer care. We operate a nationwide network spanning more than 28,000 fiber route miles, with 90 metro fiber rings and secure data centers that provide ubiquitous data and voice IP service coverage. Our EarthLink Carrier™ division sells facilities-based wholesale telecommunications to other providers and our award-winning Internet services connect hundreds of thousands of residential customers across the U.S. For more, visit www.earthlink.com and follow @earthlink, LinkedIn and Google+.
Equinix, Inc. (EQIX) connects the world’s leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 33 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix’s recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
1 The Total Economic Impact™ Of Equinix Interconnection Solutions, August 2015