- Cross-industry initiative brings together leaders in business, academia and government to explore new 5G use cases for the factory of the future and connected mobility
Munich, Germany - 24 November 2015
Nokia Networks is preparing for the future today with its first 5G Connected Industries Forum in Munich, bringing together business leaders, government officials and experts from research institutes and academia to discuss the usage of 5G technology beyond consumer mobile broadband. The forum will explore opportunities offered by next generation networks in the manufacturing and mobility sectors, and the specific requirements needed to drive joint collaboration and shape the 5G system.
5G will have a massive impact on industry and mobility
The factory of the future (Industry 4.0), enabled by 5G, will allow manufacturers to automate end-to-end operations and set up or take down new product lines or entire factories virtually. With billions of sensors, machine-controlled robots and autonomous logistics, all capable of communicating and operating remotely in real time via 5G, manufacturers can achieve massive productivity gains. These include removing process inefficiencies, guaranteeing quality, minimizing costs and responding to demand in real time.
Connected mobility will be important for carmakers, logistics, original equipment manufacturers and also municipalities, since more vehicles and computers can be handled with the existing infrastructure. Autonomous driving is set to become a reality and this will require a communication system that connected vehicles can truly rely on, providing virtual zero latency for safety.
5G Connected Industries Forum at a glance:
- Open discussion platform, panel sessions and interactive workshops to explore opportunities and leverage joint collaboration
- Live demonstrations of Nokia Networks’ latest 5G developments: 19 Gbps prototype, 5G Network Deployment Simulator, 5G Security and Connected Drones
- Held in Munich, Europe’s technology hub, with an ecosystem of global players in many industries, leading universities, top research institutes, software companies and operators
Prof. Dr. Hans D. Schotten, University of Kaiserslautern and Scientific Director, German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI), said: “5G will change the way we manufacture and transport goods, manage our health, drive cars and other vehicles, and it will change whole industries. The requirements of these industries must be the guiding principles of 5G technology development, so it is vital to establish a 5G ecosystem around vertical industries today. Nokia Networks’ 5G Connected Industries Forum is a great step in this direction and a good opportunity for us to help with our expertise.”
Hossein Moiin, Executive Vice President and CTO at Nokia Networks, said: “5G will be the platform enabling growth and transformation in many industries, directly contributing to social and economic development. Nokia Networks is actively shaping the global 5G ecosystem in alignment with other key members of our industry. We are also driving cross-industry collaboration and by doing that defining the overall 5G architecture that incorporates the requirements of the wider ecosystem. Collaboration with experts in each sector is the key in bringing new possibilities to the market, and the 5G Connected Industries Forum will enable this to happen.”
Did you know?
- Nokia Networks intensively collaborates with leading universities in Europe, the USA and China to make the 5G concept and technologies as viable and futureproof as possible.
- In October 2015, Nokia Networks showcased pre-standard 5G cellular technology, delivering peak speeds of 19 Gbps over the air at realistic conditions.
- Nokia Networks has developed a programmable 5G multi-service architecture. One of the most exciting capabilities will be Network-as-a-Service (NaaS) which is about network functions tailored for different industries such as logistics, automotive, healthcare, utilities or manufacturing.
- Web page: 5G
Connect with Nokia Networks:
- Subscribe to receive our product news alerts
TAGS: 5G Connected Industries Forum, Munich
By focusing on the human possibilities of technology, Nokia embraces the connected world to help people thrive. Our three businesses are leaders in their fields: Nokia Networks provides broadband infrastructure, software and services; HERE provides mapping, navigation and location intelligence; and Nokia Technologies provides advanced technology development and licensing. www.nokia.com
Nokia Networks, which provides broadband infrastructure, software and services, operates at the forefront of our industry. From the first ever call on GSM to the first call on LTE, we have set the pace of innovation, a record that continues with future technologies such as 5G. Together with our operator customers, who serve close to 5 billion subscribers, we are embracing the opportunity of the connected world and helping to solve its challenges.http://networks.nokia.com/
Phone: +358 (0) 10 448 4900
- See more at: http://networks.nokia.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/nokia-networks-preparing-for-the-future-with-5g-connected-industries-forum-in-germany#sthash.t3x013Hc.dpuf