Agreements to purchase wind energy in Oklahoma and Texas nearly double its overall global renewable energy
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Nov. 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that it has signed power purchase agreements (PPA) with both an affiliate of NextEra Energy Resources, LLC and Invenergy LLC to purchase wind energy in Oklahoma and Texas, respectively, which will cover all Equinix data centers throughout North America. These agreements will provide a combined 225 megawatts (MW) of capacity, bringing Equinix's total renewable energy coverage in North America to 100% by the end of 2016, and nearly doubling its global renewable energy, moving from 43% to 82%. Both projects will be fully deployed by the end of 2016.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The agreement with a NexEra Energy Resources affiliate includes the purchase of wind energy from the Rush Springs Renewable Generation Facility located in Grady and Stephens Counties, Oklahoma. The agreement will provide 125 MW of capacity resulting in approximately 556,000 megawatt hours (MWhs) of clean and renewable energy generated annually in Oklahoma and delivered into the Southwest Power Pool (SPP) regional electricity grid.
- The agreement with Invenergy includes the purchase of wind energy from the Wake Wind Energy Facility located in Floyd and Crosby Counties, Texas. This agreement will provide 100 MW of capacity resulting in approximately 457,000 MWhs of clean and renewable energy generated annually in Texas and delivered into the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) regional electricity grid.
- These are the second and third PPA agreements made by Equinix in the last 60 days. In September the company announced an agreement to purchase 105 megawatts (MWAC) of new solar power from SunEdison to power its facilities in California.
- Earlier this year Equinix announced its commitment to 100 percent clean and renewable energy for its entire global footprint of 105 data centers located in 33 markets. Through ongoing development of partnerships Equinix continues to deploy innovative new technologies to make this commitment a reality. Most recently it deployed a 342 kWp PV solar system at its SG3 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Singapore and is in the process of installing a 1MW fuel cell system at its Silicon Valley (SV5) data center.
- John DiDonato, vice president, wind development, NextEra Energy Resources:
"NextEra Energy Resources is pleased to be working with Equinix on this project to help them meet their sustainability goals. In addition to helping Equinix, this project will bring significant economic benefits to Stephens and Grady County."
- Craig Gordon, vice president, sales and marketing, Invenergy:
"As corporations like Equinix look for ways to reduce their emissions and improve their sustainability goals, Invenergy is committed to providing long-term, clean energy to help them achieve those goals."
- Karl Strohmeyer, president, Equinix Americas:
"As a global data center leader, with more than 100 facilities across 33 global markets, we truly understand the importance of operating our business in an environmentally sustainable way. These projects announced today are two significant milestones toward our commitment of reaching 100 percent renewable power across all of our data centers across the globe, and further solidify Equinix's position as a leader in data center sustainability."
- Equinix to make California Data Centers 100% Renewable [press release]
- Equinix to install Bloom Energy Fuel Cells at Silicon Valley Data Center [press release]
- Living By Our Principles and a Commitment to 100% Renewable Energy Use [blog]
- Learn more about Equinix's Green Initiatives [website]
- Greenpeace's 2015 Click Green Report [third-party report]
Equinix, Inc. (EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 33 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.