VellOS Provides New Cloud Services for Service Providers and Efficient Cloud Networking for Enterprises
For Immediate Release: 15 October 2015
- VellOS is a virtualized Cloud exchange networking platform designed to provide Network-as-a-Service (NaaS) and to optimize connections between Clouds.
- VellOS frees service provider networks to generate revenue through new Cloud services.
- VellOS provides support for Sonus’ FarSight and a revenue-generating NaaS portal application.
DÜSSELDORF, Germany – Sonus Networks, Inc. (NASDAQ:SONS, news, filings), a global leader in enabling and securing real-time communications, announced today the general availability of VellOS Release 8.0, an update to Sonus’ virtualized Cloud exchange networking platform, delivering enhancements for manageability, flexibility and ease of service consumption for network resources. With this update, Sonus offers a Software Defined Networking (SDN) solution that simplifies the complexity of migrating applications to the Cloud.
VellOS is the leading Cloud exchange networking platform to integrate private, hybrid and public Clouds into one IT environment. Customers can tailor Cloud exchange networking services to deliver NaaS, MPLS WAN replacement and Cloud interconnect to major public Cloud providers. VellOS also simplifies network and application roll-out and optimizes access to data center hosted applications.
VellOS delivers support for two applications:
- An analytics tool for network and application performance using metrics from VellOS to provide enterprises with insight into network, computation and application interactions.
- A new, customizable, multi-tenanted web-based customer portal that allows service providers to sell, bring-up and grow enterprise customers by enabling self on-boarding, tiered-service selection and bandwidth on-demand.
VellOS was recently deployed by Internet Solutions, a pan-African telecommunications service provider in South Africa.
“Internet Solutions has a vision for a programmable network that allows us to create new services for our clients quickly and efficiently,” said Greg Montjoie, executive - Carrier & Connectivity, Internet Solutions. “We selected VellOS, Sonus’ Cloud exchange networking platform, to build these services. Our ability to create new services leveraging our own applications reinforces our ability to offer compelling services and adjust to the requirements of our clients at our pace and on our terms.”
“VellOS drives improvements in network utilization, resulting in reduced network costs and associated capital expenditures for customers moving mission critical business applications to the Cloud,” said Tony Scarfo, executive vice president, Product Management and Corporate Development, Sonus. “VellOS increases productivity and revenue through business-driven networking versus being bound by traditional networking methodologies.”
“SDN is one of the most transformative business and technology trends the telecom industry has seen in decades,” said Sterling Perrin, senior analyst, Heavy Reading. “Faster time-to-market for new services, faster provisioning, delivery and upgrade times for existing services, and reduced human error and lower operational costs from software automation are the primary reasons for adopting SDN according to Heavy Reading’s operator surveys.”
“Three years ago we predicted that market forces would lead to the compression of the ISO stack from seven layers to effectively three - the application, orchestration/control and network layers that we call SDN today. Today operators are moving SDN from the data center (DC) to connecting DCs, PoPs, COs and business offices. VellOS is designed to compete in the growing Cloud exchange network where massive amounts of data traffic are switched between the network nodes,” said Michael Howard, senior research director, Carrier Networks, IHS (Infonetics).
- An earlier version of VellOS was branded under the name “NaaS IQ.”
- VellOS recently received Computer Technology Review’s “2015 Most Valuable Product” award in the “Networking” category.
- For more information on VellOS click here.
- Read how Telstra brought NaaS concepts to life in Asia and the United States with VellOS here.
- Read how VellOS reduced costs and increased State Street Bank’s network utilization here.
Sonus Networks, SONS, VellOS, FarSight, virtualization, Cloud, Software Defined Networking, SDN, Cloud Interconnect, Network-as-a-Service, NaaS, Internet Solutions
Sonus brings the next generation of Cloud-based SIP and 4G/VoLTE solutions to its customers by enabling and securing mission critical traffic for VoIP, video, IM and online collaboration. With Sonus, enterprises can intelligently secure and prioritize real-time communications, while service providers can deliver reliable, secure real-time services for mobile, UC and social applications. Sonus offers an award-winning portfolio of hardware-based and virtualized Session Border Controllers (SBCs), Diameter Signaling Controllers (DSCs), Cloud Exchange Networking Platform, Policy/Routing servers and media/signaling gateways. Visit www.sonus.net or call 1-855-GO-SONUS.
Important Information Regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
The information in this release contains forward-looking statements regarding future events that involve risks and uncertainties. All statements other than statements of historical facts contained in this release are forward-looking statements. Our actual results may differ materially from those contemplated by the forward-looking statements. For further information regarding risks and uncertainties associated with Sonus’ business, please refer to the “Risk Factors” section of Sonus’ most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Any forward-looking statements represent Sonus’ views only as of the date on which such statement is made and should not be relied upon as representing Sonus’ views as of any subsequent date. While Sonus may elect to update forward-looking statements at some point, Sonus specifically disclaims any obligation to do so.
Jason Vancura, +1-978-614-8321
- See more at: http://www.sonus.net/en/resources/press-releases/sonus-introduces-vellos%C2%AE-network-operating-system-for-cloud-networks#sthash.HmQ6lp7U.dpuf