- Nokia Networks LTE mobile broadband portfolio enhanced with selected partner products to offer a full end-to-end public safety product and service portfolio
- Solution based on 3GPP-standardized public safety features
- Nokia Networks quality standards ensure reliable and secure public safety solution
- Robust LTE public safety networks important element of smart cities of the future
Dubai, UAE – 05 October 2015
Nokia Networks’ end-to-end LTE-based solution underlines its commitment to public safety communications, enabling a rich variety of multimedia tools and applications for first responders and other public safety personnel. LTE technology offers high bandwidth and high reliability for disaster-level operational capabilities and information management with low latency for the fastest connectivity. Public safety operators will benefit from a lower cost of implementation and spectral efficiency in their networks. In addition, Nokia Networks provides rapid end-to-end integration of the full solution.
LTE mobile broadband enables a whole new level of efficiency for public safety*, offering: real-time communications; high-quality video streaming to provide remote team members a direct view to emergency situations; robotics; remote data access and diagnostics; and services based on location data. Standardized technologies and a single platform approach are also central to the development of smart cities, for which public safety is one of the first and most important criteria. Making use of millions of sensors and Internet of Things (IoT), objects will further enhance the safety of first responders and citizens. An additional advantage is a wide choice of LTE devices that are cost-effective compared to dedicated public mobile radio systems such as TETRA and P25.
The end-to-end Nokia Networks Public Safety Portfolio in brief:
- Available today: a fully-featured public safety LTE voice and data communications network that is 3GPP** compliant, including Quality of Service, high availability, mobility, security and resilient IP connectivity.
- The public safety LTE network is built on Nokia Networks’ radio access network, evolved packet core, VoLTE solution, IP Multimedia Subsystem, Core in a Box solution, subscriber data and device management, network management, Self-Organizing Networks, and Nokia Liquid Applications technology.
- Nokia Networks LTE Network in a Box*** offers standard authorized IP connectivity and can provide complete LTE network coverage for users in minutes.
- End-to-end security offering for public safety networks, protecting devices and networks.
- Nokia Global Services provide deep expertise for designing, implementing, optimizing, operating and maintaining networks that fulfill the specific requirements of public safety authorities reliably and efficiently.
- Nokia’s end-to-end solution consists of a comprehensive partner portfolio including devices, applications, and interworking functions for legacy systems such as TETRA and P25.
Thorsten Robrecht, Vice President, Partner Business at Nokia Networks, said: “Tomorrow’s smart cities will be built on standardized technologies with economies of scale, such as LTE for public safety. Already today, LTE mobile broadband connectivity with innovative real-time applications helps public safety authorities offer a completely new level of service to citizens. We at Nokia Networks understand that public safety networks must conform to the most stringent requirements for connectivity and application security. Building on our strong heritage of working with governmental agencies, we are now offering the most comprehensive LTE public safety portfolio to our customers jointly with our selected partners.”
Nokia Networks has been working with various government agencies to understand their requirements for a reliable public safety system. As a result, in the US, one of the most advanced countries in the public safety domain, the company has participated in a number of early public safety deployments and pilots. In addition, it has signed contracts with government public safety agencies in the Middle East to provide its end-to-end public safety solution. More recently, with Nokia Networks in a Box, Vodafone New Zealand showcased the integration of push-to-talk group communications capabilities in one of the world’s first deployments of a miniaturised 4G network in an emergency-type scenario.
Did you know?
Nokia Networks has long been a driving force for 3GPP standardization of LTE and the public safety specific features. Today, Nokia Networks is LTE supplier to 14 out of the 15 largest operators measured by LTE subscribers.
Click here to download a Nokia Networks’ public safety picture.
- Web page: Public safety
- Whitepaper: LTE networks for public safety services
- Video: Showcasing Public Safety at Nokia Innovation Day 2014
- Press Release: Nokia Networks expands public safety capabilities of LTE network in a box with Harris BeOn® #APCO2015
- Press Release: Vodafone demonstrates emergency network options in live civil defence simulation
- Blog: LTE to the rescue in public safety networks
- Blog: New book by Nokia experts on LTE for Public Safety a must read
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: public safety, smart city, disaster, coverage, Network in a Box, NIB, LTE
By focusing on the human possibilities of technology, Nokia embraces the connected world to help people thrive. Our three businesses are leaders in their fields: Nokia Networks provides broadband infrastructure, software and services; HERE provides mapping, navigation and location intelligence; and Nokia Technologies provides advanced technology development and licensing.
Nokia Networks, which provides broadband infrastructure, software and services, operates at the forefront of our industry. From the first ever call on GSM to the first call on LTE, we have set the pace of innovation, a record that continues with future technologies such as 5G. Together with our operator customers, who serve close to 5 billion subscribers, we are embracing the opportunity of the connected world and helping to solve its challenges.
Phone: +358 (0) 10 448 4900
* The National Public Safety Telecommunications Council (NPSTC) and the TETRA and Critical Communications Association (TCCA) have signed a Memorandum of Agreement to underscore their joint commitment of the need to develop mission critical public safety communications standards for LTE-based technology.
** The 3GPP LTE specification helps establish a common technical standard for commercial cellular networks and critical communications for public protection and disaster relief. The advantages include interoperability between different vendors’ solutions, true economies of scale and efficiency of LTE technology, built-in security as well as new business opportunities for traditional telecommunications players in supporting the public safety industry.
*** Nokia Networks LTE Network in a Box can be installed in a vehicle such as an ambulance or a fire truck, and it will create a reliable 4G LTE network in areas without cellular network coverage. Its Mobile Edge Computing (MEC) capabilities enable the integration of new applications at the edge of the mobile network, such as Harris BeOn Communication suite for critical communications capabilities familiar to land mobile radio (LMR). Those include push-to-talk, group calls and messaging, location tracking, as well as advanced broadband functionalities such as situational awareness and real-time video streaming.
– See more at: http://networks.nokia.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/nokia-networks-unlocks-full-potential-of-mission-critical-lte-for-public-safety-networkspe#sthash.wEuq3SvL.dpuf