Live bonded G.fast demo to surpass gigabit threshold; VDSL2 system level vectoring to set new standard for deployment economics over copper
LONDON – October 20, 2015 – Calix, Inc. (NYSE:CALX, news, filings), the world leader in gigabit fiber deployments, today announced the expansion of its copper solutions portfolio to be highlighted at the Broadband World Forum (BBWF) this week in London. Among the new innovations are:
- Live demonstrations of G.fast bonding technology delivering broadband speeds in excess of 1 gigabit per second (1 Gbps) over existing copper infrastructure up to approximately 250 meters
- Live demonstrations of interoperability between Calix G.fast DPUs and modems and those of other vendors at the Broadband Forum Interoperability Pavilion
- The debut of breakthrough VDSL2 system level vectoring (SLV) solutions on the Calix E7-2 modular access systems that deliver up to 96 vectored ports without the economic and operational burden of a dedicated vectoring control processor card (VCP)
- The introduction of new VCPs on the E7-2 modular chassis that can scale from 97 to 384 vectored VDSL2 ports to flexibly serve more dense deployment scenarios
With these innovations, Calix has set new standards for performance over existing service provider copper infrastructure, and is leading the way in bringing to market the breadth of solutions necessary to meet the emerging demands of copper-fed broadband consumers globally.
"It is critical for service providers like Windstream to be on the forefront of technologies that will allow us to leverage our existing infrastructure to meet ever increasing subscriber service demands," said Randy Nicklas, executive vice president of engineering and CTO at Windstream. "Optimally leveraging our copper infrastructure is essential to our strategy going forward, and we are excited by the innovations that are allowing us to leverage our strategic copper assets to both stay ahead of demand and our competition. We've seen these technologies in action, and these innovations are leading the way in helping us to deliver a world-class subscriber experience effectively and efficiently, independent of the media type over which they are served."
Calix G.fast solutions on display and being demonstrated at the BBWF this week include:
- E3-16F — 16-port G.fast DPU sealed, environmentally hardened; supports gigabit passive optical network (GPON) and point-to-point Ethernet technologies
- E5-216F — 16-port G.fast MDU node for controlled environments; supports GPON and point-to-point Ethernet technologies
- Three new premises service delivery products: 844F GigaCenter terminates G.fast and delivers a managed gigabit experience both hard-wired and over Carrier Class Wi-Fi; 801F and 801FB GigaPoints are network demarcation devices that terminate G.fast and bonded G.fast respectively
- Calix Compass — multivendor cloud software for end-to-end visibility of the broadband experience from the cloud down to the subscribers' device enabling new levels of control that dramatically reduces truck rolls, lowers operating costs, and increases service velocity through faster service turn-ups.
New Calix System Level Vectoring solutions for the modular E7-2 include:
- VDSL2-48C — 48 port combo voice and data card
- VDSL2-48D — 48 port data only card
- VDSL2-48 — 48 port overlay card
- VDSL2-192 VCP — vector control processor to vector 192 VDSL2 ports
- VDSL2-384 VCP — vector control processor to vector 384 VDSL2 ports
Calix SLV on the E7-2 leverages the unrivalled modularity and flexibility of the chassis to support more subscribers in a CAPEX efficient "pay-as-your-grow" type model. The new cards also support 8-pair bonding for copper business services and copper transport for fiber challenged locations.
"These new Calix innovations in G.fast bonding and pay-as-you-grow system level vectoring allow our customers to think differently about the potential service envelope in homes and businesses served by copper, as well as the economics of broadband deployment," said Shane Eleniak, vice president of product line leadership at Calix. "As our technology demos this week at the Broadband World Forum illustrate, Calix is on the leading edge of innovation, and we look forward to the opportunities that our customers can explore now that they have a richer and more powerful toolset."
Calix will demonstrate bonded G.fast with Sckipio (Booth #D80); G.fast interoperability in the Broadband Forum Interoperability Pavilion (Booth #D20); Static examples of the Calix Unified Access portfolio at the Calix booth (Booth #E40) during Broadband World Forum exhibit hours 10/20 to 10/22 in London.
Calix (NYSE: CALX) is a global leader in access innovation. Its Unified Access portfolio of broadband communications access software, systems, and services enables communications service providers worldwide to transform their networks and become the broadband provider of choice to their subscribers. For more information, visit the Calix website at www.calix.com.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements that are based upon management's current expectations and are inherently uncertain. Forward-looking statements are based upon information available to us as of the date of this release, and we assume no obligation to revise or update any such forward-looking statement to reflect any event or circumstance after the date of this release, except as required by law. Actual results and the timing of events could differ materially from current expectations based on risks and uncertainties affecting the Company's business. The reader is cautioned not to rely on the forward-looking statements contained in this press release. Additional information on potential factors that could affect Calix's results and other risks and uncertainties are detailed in its reports on Form 10-Q for the second 2015 fiscal quarter and Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year 2014, filed with the SEC and available at www.sec.gov.
Press Inquiries (Americas):
Press Inquiries (International):
+44 (0)7899 914168
+44 (0) 7986 514240