Advanced, scalable network drives economic development through improved access to Internet connectivity
HANOVER, Md. — 08/19/2015
TCR Telecom in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil has deployed a new municipal network with packet networking platforms from Ciena® (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings). The network supports the revitalization ofRio’s port region, which seeks to re-integrate the port region into the city of Rio de Janeiro by revitalizing more than 1,200 acres in the downtown neighborhoods of Gamboa, Santo Cristo and Saúde, by providing high-speed connectivity that increases the attractiveness of commercial space, supports residential growth and the opening of new tourist attractions. It provides greater access to a high-capacity, low-latency and resilient network that is capable of delivering carrier-grade services, such as premium Gigabit Ethernet (GigE) services, to businesses and data centers in “Porto Maravilha.”
- TCR Telecom operates an open-access fiber network that allows multiple service providers to leverage the network to provide high bandwidth connectivity to end users.
- As areas of the port are revitalized, public infrastructure, including fiber connections, are constructed and installed in order to provide 100 percent coverage to residences and businesses, allowing for telecom services to be offered as a basic utility, like water or power. Each business will be able to access 1 Gb/s of connectivity on this low-latency network, through the service provider of their choice. Advanced multi-Gigabit Ethernet Business services, such data center connectivity and high-performance Internet access, are also available to the businesses located within the network footprint.
- Ciena’s 5150 and 5410 Service Aggregation Switches and OneControl Unified Management System, provide end-to-end performance monitoring and service level assurance, enabling TCR Telecom to deliver high-performance, highly reliable Ethernet services. This network also provides wholesale services to incumbent providers serving the project area.
- “When we decided to revitalize this historic port region in Rio de Janeiro and create a sustainable urban space, we knew that greater fiber access would be a key component. With Ciena’s packet networking platforms we can help ensure that Porto Maravilha has the necessary communication infrastructure to support high-bandwidth services and applications that will help attract new residents and businesses for years to come.”
- Yoav Passy Engineering Coordinator, TCR Telecom
- “The City of Rio de Janeiro recognized that broadband connectivity is a powerful driver for the quality of life and economic growth of a region. By working with TCR Telecom to deploy this network, Ciena is helping to create a digital foundation to transform the port and showcase the many benefits of broadband both today and in the future.”
- Fabio Medina, Vice President and General Manager, Central and Latin America, Ciena
- Product Overview: Packet Networking Portfolio
- Solution Overview: 10GE Solution
- Webinar: Packets and Light Done Right – Focus on CALA
About TCR Telecom
TCR is a telecommunications service provider licensed by Anatel and committed to the mission to deploy, operate, and manage the shared telecommunications infrastructure of the Special Interest Urban Area (AEIU) created by Law No. 101 of 23 November 2009 by the city of Rio de Janeiro.The company operates as a “carrier of carriers” whose customers are operators licensed by Anatel, wishing to provide telecommunications services in the region. To this end, TCR invests in technology, staffing, along with physical and logical network infrastructure in order to quickly meet our customer needs, guided by principles of equal and transparent access to all clients.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or LinkedIn. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 10, 2015. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(877) 243 6273
+1 (214) 995-8035