High-capacity Ethernet improves delivery of mobile and business services
HANOVER, Md. & SEOUL, South Korea--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
Ciena’s ® (CIEN) 5430 Packet-Optical Platform is being deployed by SK Telecom as it upgrades its nationwide infrastructure to deliver wireless services as well as enhanced wireline business and consumer broadband offerings. SK Telecom’s business and customers will benefit from extremely high-availability, high-capacity and flexible services that are essential for the cloud and other high-bandwidth, web-scale applications, such as those required for streaming video.
- SK Telecom is Korea’s largest telecommunications company with more than 28 million mobile subscribers. Deploying Ciena provides SK Telecom a robust, on-demand architecture that can cater to increasing bandwidth requirements.
- Ciena’s 5430, leverages WaveLogic 3 coherent optics and the latest high density 15 Tb/s switching capabilities to underpin service delivery and will be seamlessly integrated into SK Telecom’s existing nationwide network that is already powered by Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform. Ciena’s OneControl will simplify network management, providing visibility and control across SK Telecom’s infrastructure.
- Additionally, Ciena’s OneConnect control plane technology, which integrates SDH, OTN and high-capacity Ethernet, will enable SK Telecom to seamlessly align services across the entire SK Telecom Group so it can operate efficiently as a single entity.
- “This deployment will ensure that SK Telecom is able to effectively and efficiently support next-generation mobile and business services, preparing the country for the high-bandwidth future and new innovations, such as software defined networking.”
- Choi, Seung- Won, Senior Vice President of Network Division, SK Telecom
- “With Ciena’s converged packet-optical and control plane software platforms, SK Telecom can deliver high-availability, resilient Ethernet services to handle surging demand for cloud computing, HD video and LTE advanced mobile services. In addition, network scalability enables SK Telecom to rapidly respond to unpredictable, changing end-user needs.”
- Henry Kim, President and General Manager, South Korea, at Ciena
- Overview: Converged Packet Optical
- Data sheet: Ciena 5430
- Video: ChalkTalk OneConnect
- Overview: OneControl Unified Management System
About SK Telecom
SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM, KSE: 017670), established in 1984, is Korea’s largest telecommunications company with more than 28 million mobile subscribers, accounting for around 50% of the market. The company reached KRW 17.164 trillion in revenue in 2014. As the world’s first company to commercialize CDMA, CDMA 2000 1x, CDMA EV-DO and HSDPA networks, SK Telecom launched the nation’s first LTE service in July 2011. SK Telecom also became the world’s first mobile carrier to commercialize 150Mbps LTE-Advanced in June 2013 and 225Mbps LTE-Advanced in June 2014 through Carrier Aggregation (CA). In line with its efforts to swiftly move towards the next-generation mobile network system, or 5G, it successfully commercialized 300Mbps tri-band LTE-A CA. As of the end of March 2015, the company has over 17.4 million LTE and LTE-Advanced subscribers. Based on its strength in the network operations business, SK Telecom is seeking new growth engines through three innovative platforms: the Lifestyle Enhancement Platform, Advanced Media Platform and IoT Service Platform. For more information, please visitwww.sktelecom.com or email email@example.com.
Ciena (CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or LinkedIn. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 10, 2015. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.