- Involves communications network for trains in southern Germany, representing 60% of Deutsche Bahn’s total modernization contract
- Includes more than 2,000 GSM-R Flexi base stations and controllers as well as implementation and support services
Munich/Berlin, Germany – 14 July 2015
DB Netz AG, the rail infrastructure company of Deutsche Bahn AG, has awarded Nokia Networks an 8-year deal to modernize its GSM-R* network in southern Germany. Nokia Networks will replace the existing GSM-R radio systems with state-of-the-art technology, including the award-winning Flexi base station, and provide implementation services to ensure minimal impact on railway operations. Nokia Networks has been a long-standing radio and turnkey supplier to DB Netz AG and will now become its biggest GSM-R supplier.
Nokia Networks will also deliver an end-to-end implementation solution, exchanging complete site solutions including shelters, power supply and telecommunication equipment without significant interruption of railway traffic. This requires extensive experience in GSM-R modernization projects and will be provided by Nokia Networks’ Global Services organization which has successfully completed numerous turnkey projects across Europe. Nokia Networks will also deliver long-term support to DB Netz AG’s GSM-R network with help from its European R&D center in Hungary.
Nokia Networks will enable DB Netz AG to benefit from new radio functionalities like the extended GSM-R frequency band which provides additional capacity for the ever-increasing data and voice traffic.
Nokia Networks’ railway solution includes:
- Global Services expertise for seamless interworking of all parts
- More than 2,000 Flexi base stations and base station controllers
- Nokia Flexi Power Supply energy solution
- A customized shelter solution to fulfill the demanding regulatory requirements set by Germany’s Federal Railway Authority
- Project management, network implementation, maintenance and spare part handling
- NetAct network management system to ensure network efficiency and stability
Dr. Heike Hanagarth, Member of the Board, Technology and Environment of Deutsche Bahn AG, said: “We are looking forward to working with our international Partner Nokia. We are convinced of their technical innovation and quality.”
Dirk Lewandowski, Head of Railway Solutions at Nokia Networks, said: “This is one of our biggest GSM-R contracts so far and will greatly increase our footprint in Europe. The deal involves highly complex operations since the train system cannot be disrupted, and we are proud that the German railway operator recognizes our proven abilities and has chosen us as its trusted strategic partner.”
Did you know?
Nokia Networks serves over 73,000 kilometers of railways globally and is the market leader in GSM-R with 29 GSM-R networks deployed globally. It is the only player in the market combining 15 years GSM-R experience with a market-leading position as telco supplier. GSM-R markedly improves the security, reliability and safety of rail services. For instance, it significantly enhances communication with trains passing through tunnels, affording far greater safety in case of emergencies.
- GSM-R Website
- GSM-R Brochure
- Press Release GSM-R solution to enable automated train control and help railway operators handle 40% more train traffic.
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: GSM-R, deal, Germany, Deutsche Bahn, railway
By focusing on the human possibilities of technology, Nokia embraces the connected world to help people thrive. Our three businesses are leaders in their fields. Nokia Networks provides broadband infrastructure software and services, HERE provides mapping, navigation and location intelligence, and Nokia Technologies provides advanced technology development and licensing. www.nokia.com
Nokia Networks, which provides broadband infrastructure, software and services, operates at the forefront of our industry. From the first ever call on GSM to the first call on LTE, we have set the pace of innovation, a record that continues with future technologies such as 5G. Together with our operator customers, who serve close to 5 billion subscribers, we are embracing the opportunity of the connected world and helping to solve its challenges. http://networks.nokia.com/
Phone: +358 7140 02869
* Global System for Mobile Communications - Railway (GSM-R) is a proven digital platform that is the standard for railway-specific voice and data operational services on five continents including Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and South America.
- See more at: http://networks.nokia.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/nokia-networks-to-become-largest-gsm-r-supplier-for-deutsche-bahn#sthash.icTaf1Yd.dpuf