- To deliver radio and services for Bharti Airtel’s 3G network and enhance infrastructure across 8 circles in India
New Delhi/Gurgaon, India - 30 June 2015
Bharti Airtel, a leading global telecommunications company with operations in 20 countries across Asia and Africa, has selected Nokia Networks to roll out its 3G network in 5 new telecom circles and network expansion in 3 existing telecom circles*. Under the 4-year contract, the company will provide its radio elements and services expertise to power Bharti Airtel’s infrastructure.
Deal details at a glance:
- Network planning and optimization, network implementation, network operations, project management and care services, including hardware and software maintenance as well as competence development
- Compact and energy-efficient Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station, a software-defined radio platform complemented with Flexi Lite Base Station, a small all-in-one base station optimized for indoor and outdoor micro-cell deployments with superior capacity and coverage in densely crowded areas
- Extremely compact, highly scalable and flexible multi-technology, all-IP multicontroller RNC (mcRNC)
- NetAct, a cloud-ready virtualized OSS, for effective and consolidated monitoring and optimization
Abhay Savargaonkar, Director of Network Services Group, Bharti Airtel, said: “The Indian telecom environment is currently experiencing a rapid increase in the uptake of data-centric services. As market leaders, we at Airtel are deeply committed to delivering the best data experience for smartphone users and making continued network investments to help us realize the vast potential of this data opportunity. We are happy to further extend our long term association with Nokia Networks towards innovating our network’s service delivery mechanism and deliver a host of multi-media apps as well as services for Airtel customers. We see this association underscoring Airtel’s constant focus on building a world-class, next-generation smartphone network for its customers”
Sandeep Girotra, Vice President and Head of India Market, Nokia Networks, said: “The strong traction in India’s 3G market, driven by the rising demand for data-intensive apps and services, is the primary impetus behind Bharti Airtel’s 3G expansion initiatives with Nokia Networks. With this project, we have further strengthened Bharti’s 3G proposition in 8 business-critical circles in India including 5 new circles, adding yet another dimension to ourcollaboration which continues to gain momentum with such strategic engagements.”
Click here for a photo of Nokia’s Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station.
Did you know?
Nokia Networks’ MBit Index study, an annual report on mobile broadband performance in India, revealed that the 74% increase in mobile data traffic in 2014 was primarily driven by strong 3G growth with a 114% increase, while 2G growth was reported to be 41%. In 2014, the growth of mobile broadband traffic in India prompted many operators to expand their 3G and 4G networks. Nokia Networks, with its latest Single RAN (radio access network) Advanced platform had helped Bharti Airtel to expand their 3G networks across several circles in India.
- Website: Zero emission
- Blog: Green is the color of the OSS cloud
- Blog: Two thousand and fifteen cheers to Technology Vision 2020
- YouTube: Nokia Single RAN Advanced - The future just got simpler
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: 3G, Nokia Networks, Bharti Airtel, India, data traffic, mobile broadband, radio network, 2G
About Bharti Airtel
Bharti Airtel Limited is a leading global telecommunications company with operations in 20 countries across Asia and Africa. Headquartered in New Delhi, India, the company ranks amongst the top 4 mobile service providers globally in terms of subscribers. In India, the company's product offerings include 2G, 3G and 4G wireless services, mobile commerce, fixed line services, high speed DSL broadband, IPTV, DTH, enterprise services including national & international long distance services to carriers. In the rest of the geographies, it offers 2G, 3G and 4G wireless services and mobile commerce. Bharti Airtel had over 326 million customers across its operations at the end of April 2015. To know more please visit, www.airtel.com
By focusing on the human possibilities of technology, Nokia embraces the connected world to help people thrive. Our three businesses are leaders in their fields. Nokia Networks provides broadband infrastructure software and services, HERE provides mapping, navigation and location intelligence, and Nokia Technologies provides advanced technology development and licensing. www.nokia.com
Nokia Networks, which provides broadband infrastructure, software and services, operates at the forefront of our industry. From the first ever call on GSM to the first call on LTE, we have set the pace of innovation, a record that continues with future technologies such as 5G. Together with our operator customers, who serve close to 5 billion subscribers, we are embracing the opportunity of the connected world and helping to solve its challenges. http://networks.nokia.com/
Phone: +91 9810413703
Phone: +358 7140 02869
Phone: +91 0124 4243511
* India’s telecommunications market is divided into 22 sub-regions, also referred to as circles.
- See more at: http://networks.nokia.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/nokia-networks-inks-4-year-deal-with-bharti-airtel-india-for-3g-network-rollout#sthash.7cSnMVkZ.dpuf