Mobile Network Traffic Highlights from Bonnaroo
Bonnaroo is one of the most anticipated music and art events in the country and attendees were connected throughout the festival this past weekend on our mobile network. More than 90,000 people showed up in the middle of a farm in Manchester, TN this weekend – with their smartphones in hand – to make it Tennessee’s 7th largest city overnight.
To help keep Bonnaroovians connected this year, we enhanced our coverage and capacity to handle additional data demand. The network enhancements were equivalent to 15 traditional cell sites.
Some AT&T mobile network traffic highlights from Bonnaroo include:
- In total, more than 11,000 GB of data crossed our mobile network at the festival over the first three days combined.
-11,000 GB, or 11 TB, of data is equivalent to more than 33 million social media posts with photos.
– Compared to last year, data usage at Bonnaroo increased 31% year over year
- Data traffic on our mobile network at the event experienced a steady climb over the first three days of the festival. Traffic grew from nearly 2,700 GB on Thursday to nearly 3,300 GB on Saturday, the peak day.
- When you combine data carried by our temporary network deployments, it is 25x more data usage compared to an average Wednesday-Sunday in the same area. **
*Total data includes data used by AT&T customers only on two existing macro cell sites, 2 Mega COWs, 3 COWs, and 4 CARTS serving Bonnaroo from June 10-14
** During an average day, the area is served by two macro cell sites.
– See more at: http://about.att.com/newsroom/peace_love_and_data_at_bonnaroo.html#sthash.Yxvv9psj.dpuf