Upgrade to optical transport network and submarine links will allow Tiscali to offer high-capacity services in response to meet existing subscriber demand and new public administration customers
Vimercate, Italy, June 15, 2015
Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) has been selected by Tiscali - one of Italy’s leading telecommunications companies – to deploy a 100G terrestrial optical backbone infrastructure and upgrade existing submarine links.
The new agile optical networking solution, using its 1830 Photonic Service Switch platform will allow Tiscali to increase both data capacity and data transmission speeds in response to growing demand for high-bandwidth, video and Internet services from existing business customers and consumer, as well as its new public administration customers.
The new infrastructure will support Tiscali’s contribution to Italy meeting the targets of its Digital Growth initiative, including upgrading digital connectivity for public institutions such as schools and hospitals.
Alcatel-Lucent will also upgrade two submarine cable links between Olbia in Sardinia and Civitavecchia, on the Italian peninsula, and between Cagliari in Sardinia and Mazara del Vallo in Sicily.
The project is scheduled for completion by October 2015.
- Alcatel-Lucent is transforming Tiscali’s optical backbone infrastructure to help the service provider meet growing demand for data. The deployment will allow Tiscali to increase capacity to improve service delivery and reduce congestion – ensuring the highest level of experience for its customers.
- Alcatel-Lucent is deploying its Agile optical networking DWDM solution with integrated optical transport network (OTN) switching, using its leading 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS) family.
- The existing unrepeatered submarine links based on the Alcatel-Lucent 1621 Submarine Link Extender (SLE) will be upgraded with 100G technology.
- The Alcatel-Lucent 1350 Optical Management System (OMS) will provide a common management platform, centralizing multiple functions in one unified system.
Andrea Podda, CTO at Tiscali said: “We are pleased to have reached this agreement with Alcatel-Lucent, a long-term partner that has always understood the needs of our network. Tiscali has been significantly contributing to the development of Internet in Italy among citizens and companies. Today more than ever we pursue this goal, in order to ensure our residential and business customers the benefits of the most recent and advanced technologies, both in terms of cost and functionalities, to help speed up digitization process in Italy, and make it an effective cultural evolution.”
Roberto Loiola, Senior Vice-President, South and Centre Europe at Alcatel-Lucent, said: “We are proud that our WDM technology is gaining further traction in the Italian market. Our 1830 PSS family has now been adopted by almost every service operator and by a growing number of large enterprises operating in industries where there is a strong need for mission critical networks.”
Tiscali S.p.A. (Borsa Italiana. Milan: TIS) is one of the leading alternative telecommunications companies in Italy. Tiscali provides its private and business customers with a vast range of services: Internet access through dial-up and ADSL, as well as voice, VoIP, media, and added-value services and other technologically advanced products.
As at 31 March 2015 Tiscali reported around 578.3 active customers, of which 466.7 thousand were ADSL customers and over 99.8 thousand are mobile customers.
The Tiscali website may be accessed at www.tiscali.it.
TISCALI PRESS CONTACT
Gianluca Nonnis Nonnis@Tiscali.Com T: +39 348 7774402
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is the leading IP networking, ultra-broadband access and cloud technology specialist. We are dedicated to making global communications more innovative, sustainable and accessible for people, businesses and governments worldwide. Our mission is to invent and deliver trusted networks to help our customers unleash their value. Every success has its network.
- See more at: https://www.alcatel-lucent.com/press/2015/alcatel-lucent-deploy-100g-optical-backbone-network-italy-tiscali#sthash.StTGPigx.dpuf