Aguascalientes, Mexico, May 7, 2015. – To support an increased number of users and devices connected to its network, the Universidad Panamericana (UP) campus Aguascalientes, has completely renewed their network using Cisco® technology.
The UP Aguascalientes faced the challenge of offering its community (teachers, professors, managers and students) a new experience when connecting to the Internet and to internal resources. It also needed to manage an increased number of devices per user, up to four devices, in a secure manner.
The deployment included:
- Cisco Aironet™ 3700 Series Access Points (APs) that offer an easy-to-install, dual-band 802.11g/n/ac radio. It delivers industry-leading performance and a High Density Experience (HD Experience) for both the enterprise and service provider markets. The Aironet 3700 Series extends support to a new generation of Wi-Fi clients, such as smartphones, tablets, and high-performance laptops that have integrated 802.11ac support.
- Cisco Wireless Release 7.6 used for high density wireless deployments that brings innovative software features that can enable secure BYOD – Bring Your Own Device- with application awareness, Cisco Connected Mobile Experiences (CMX) visitor connect and CMX for Facebook to help organizations better understand student and faculty behavior with onsite, online and social analytics.
- Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controller, this is a highly scalable and flexible platform enabling system wide services for mission-critical wireless networking in medium-sized to large enterprises and campus environments. Designed for 802.11ac and 802.11n performance and maximum scalability, the 5500 Series offers enhanced uptime with, RF visibility and protection; the ability to simultaneously manage up to 500 access points, superior performance for reliable streaming video and toll-quality voice, and sub-second stateful failover of all access points and clients from the primary to standby controller.
- Cisco Catalyst 4500E Switch with Supervisor 8-E. It enables converged wired-wireless access to support BYOD and mobility. It also offers a variety of performance, security, and operational enhancements.
The new network has allowed UP Aguascalientes to improve Internet connectivity speeds up to 850 Mbps, while having 13% more Ethernet ports to provide 1,000% more available bandwidth than its previous infrastructure. Regarding wireless services, they obtained 300% more capacity for connected devices, resulting in a network that is 600% faster.
Universidad Panamericana is a private university with 12,000 students in 33 programs. It has presence in the cities of Guadalajara, Mexico City and Aguascalientes. The UP Aguascalientes campus has 1600 students, 16 undergraduate programs and 29 postgraduate and 2 PhDs.
“We decided to have a totally new implementation that responded to the academic and student desire to be connected to the cloud and give our community more value added collaboration services” said Juan Carlos Garcia, CIO, UP Aguascalientes. “Cisco was the only vendor that could provide us with technology that allowed us to meet the new requirements leveraging a world class network solution that enables our users to get a new experience in networking services.”
“The latest Cisco Visual Networking Index™ (VNI) Mobile report, presented in January 2015, mentions that mobile devices are becoming more powerful and able to generate more data traffic, thus mobility is a requirement, not a preference” said Rogelio Velasco, Vice ¨President of Cisco México. “Our solutions will allow Universidad Panamericana Aguascalientes to meet the new requirements of their community under a reliable and secure environment in their wireless and wired network.”
The deployment of the UP Aguascalientes network was done through Telecomunicaciones Modernas, a Cisco Select partner.
About Universidad Panamericana
For 45 years, Universidad Panamericana has wrought itself as an institution of higher education with academic solidness, scientific rigor, and values based on a Christian humanism which seeks the truth and commits to it. Universidad Panamericana reaffirms an educational conviction based on a love of authentic freedom. Ubi Spiritus, Libertas (“Where the spirit is, there is freedom”) is the motto which inspires our daily work.
- Universidad Panamericana, through its three campuses (México, Guadalajara and Aguascalientes), contributes to the formation of over 12,000 undergraduate students.
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco’s trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company