- 10-year network operations, modernization and maintenance contract confirms leadership positions of Nokia Networks, Siemens and Thales in the railway communications industry
- Includes professional services to integrate technologies and assure network and service quality
- High-speed rail passengers in Spain will benefit from safer, more punctual and reliable transportation services
Madrid, Spain – 28 May 2015
Administrador de Infraestructuras Ferroviarias (Adif), Spain’s national railway operator, has awarded a 10-year contract to Nokia Networks, Siemens and Thales to modernize and maintain the country’s Railway communication system on high-speed train lines. The contract covers a 10 year period, from 2015-2024.
This latest railway communications infrastructure and long-term maintenance contract from industry-leading suppliers will enable Adif to reduce operational costs and ensure safe, speedy and dependable train services.
Deal details at a glance:
Nokia Networks will
- maintain the GSM-R* communication system, including transport and radio networks, fixed telecommunications, video surveillance, centralized management and monitoring systems, and remote power systems.
- upgrade the GSM-R core network to provide network georedundancy for greater reliability.
- provide its GSM-R core network, Subscriber Data Management, One-NDS (Network Directory Server) and NT-HLR (Home Location Register), NetAct 8 network management system.
- deliver Professional Services to provide systems integration, complete network operations and care; remote management from Global Delivery Center to ensure high quality of services delivery.
- maintain the Energy SCADA** of the total network and the fixed communications on high-speed line Madrid-Seville .
- upgrade the Remote Terminal Units (RTU) for the switchgear control.
Thales Spain is
- responsible for the maintenance and modernization of fixed communications and CCTV on the high-speed line Madrid-Valencia-Albacete, Córdoba-Málaga, Madrid-Valladolid and Madrid-Barcelona-French Border.
Did you know?
Spain has the longest high-speed railway network in Europe and the second longest in the world after China. Nokia Networks, Siemens and Thales are leaders in next-generation communications solutions for railway networks and have maintained the communications systems for Adif in Spain for over 20 years.
- Website: GSM-Railway
- Blog: InnoTrans - Preparing for the future of railway communications
- Brochure: GSM-R – Railway Communication Solutions from the Market Leader
- Press Release: GSM-R solution to enable automated train control and help railway operators handle 40% more train traffic
Connect with Thales:
- Website: www.thalesgroup.com / www.thalesgroup.com/en/homepage/spain
- Twitter: @thalesspain @thalesgroup
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/thalesespana
Connect with Siemens:
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: GSM-R, GSM-Railway, train, railway, safety
Thales is a global technology leader for the Aerospace, Transport, Defence and Security markets. With 61,000 employees in 56 countries, Thales reported sales of €13 billion in 2014. With over 20,000 engineers and researchers, Thales has a unique capability to design and deploy equipment, systems and services to meet the most complex security requirements. Its unique international footprint allows it to work closely with its customers all over the world.
About Thales Spain:
With a turnover of 300 million euros and 1,200 people, the company exports more than 40% of its total production mainly to the Middle East, North Africa and Latin America. A leader in technological solutions applied to defense, aerospace, security, transport, and space, Thales also has a competence center for its space, security, and transport sectors. Thales Spain has offices in major cities of Spain and participates in companies Thales Electronics and Communications Programs, Thales Alenia Space and SAES. www.thalesgroup.es
The Siemens Mobility Division has decades of experience and knowledge in designing, building and implementing the most intelligent, sustainable and competitive rail infrastructures. Siemens provides cutting edge technologies worldwide through integrated mobility solutions for all types of railway lines: signaling and control technologies, electrification systems, rolling stock, turnkey projects and maintenance services for all rail areas. Further information is available on the Internet at www.siemens.es.
Siemens AG (Berlin and Munich) is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. The company is active in more than 200 countries, focusing on the areas of electrification, automation and digitalization. One of the world’s largest producers of energy-efficient, resource-saving technologies, Siemens is No. 1 in offshore wind turbine construction, a leading supplier of combined cycle turbines for power generation, a major provider of power transmission solutions and a pioneer in infrastructure solutions as well as automation, drive and software solutions for industry. The company is also a leading provider of medical imaging equipment – such as computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging systems – and a leader in laboratory diagnostics as well as clinical IT. In fiscal 2014, which ended on September 30, 2014, Siemens generated revenue from continuing operations of €71.9 billion and net income of €5.5 billion. At the end of September 2014, the company had around 357,000 employees worldwide. Further information is available on the Internet at www.siemens.com
By focusing on the human possibilities of technology, Nokia embraces the connected world to help people thrive. Our three businesses are leaders in their fields. Nokia Networks provides broadband infrastructure software and services, HERE provides mapping, navigation and location intelligence, and Nokia Technologies provides advanced technology development and licensing.
Nokia Networks, which provides broadband infrastructure, software and services, operates at the forefront of our industry. From the first ever call on GSM to the first call on LTE, we have set the pace of innovation, a record that continues with future technologies such as 5G. Together with our operator customers, who serve close to 5 billion subscribers, we are embracing the opportunity of the connected world and helping to solve its challenges.
Phone: +33 6 03 79 30 86
Phone: +358 7140 02869
Media Relations/Press Office
Phone: +34 91 514 82 21
Media Relations/Press Office
Phone: +34 91 514 88 87
Phone: +34 91 273 76 86
Phone: +34 91 273 73 04
Phone:+33 (0)1 57 77 90 22
* Global System for Mobile Communications - Railway (GSM-R) is a proven digital platform that is now the standard for railway-specific voice and data operational services on five continents including Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and South America.
** SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) is a system operating with coded signals over communication channels in order to provide control of remote equipment.
- See more at: http://networks.nokia.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/nokia-networks-siemens-and-thales-win-339-million-euro-contract-for-high-speed-railways-co#sthash.I5xhBY00.dpuf