- Nokia Networks implemented the world’s first TD-LTE Advanced HetNet solution with carrier aggregation to power China Mobile Shanghai branch’s network at the event
- Nokia Flexi Zone small cells complement Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Stations, with each supporting a record-breaking 600 simultaneous active TD-LTE users per cell
- China Mobile delivered unwavering service experience despite extreme traffic load on its network
Shanghai, China – 22 April 2015
China Mobile’s Shanghai branch and Nokia Networks achieved another global milestone with the deployment of the first TD-LTE Advanced HetNet solution with carrier aggregation at an international sports event in Shanghai. Nokia Networks implemented its Flexi Zone TD-LTE small cells for scaling up China Mobile’s network capacity to manage the huge amount of wireless data traffic generated by 49,000 subscribers at the event, with more than half of this traffic carried by small cells. With Nokia Networks’ solutions and services expertise, subscribers enjoyed an ultra-fast mobile broadband experience, complemented by superior network availability, coverage and capacity.
During the 3-day event, traffic load in the network scaled a new high as many of the 145,000 visitors used multiple apps to share pictures and videos (49,000 TD-LTE users at peak). With macro software parity and Nokia Smart Scheduler, Flexi Zone TD-LTE small cells delivered excellent network availability while managing wireless data with up to 600 simultaneous active TD-LTE users per cell – supporting more simultaneous users than typical outdoor small cells.
Brief description of the solutions and services provided by Nokia Networks:
- TD-LTE Advanced HetNet solution, comprised of macro Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station* and Flexi Zone** TD-LTE small cells
- Cloud-ready network management system, NetAct, for effective and consolidated monitoring and optimization of China Mobile’s TD-LTE and small cell network
- Nokia Smart Scheduler for optimizing cell capacity and network efficiency through effective management of uplink interference, signaling capacity, control channel dimensioning and load balancing
- Data Optimization E2E solution for real time monitoring of user experience (Key Quality Indicators)
- Global Service Delivery experts helped with planning, configuration and remote monitoring to support the successful implementation of Flexi Zone by the on-site team
Bu Tong, General Manager of Network Department, China Mobile, said: “China Mobile’s TD-LTE initiatives are driven by our vision to leverage future-ready technology for offering an unmatched service experience, despite challenges posed by the ever-increasing load on our network. Nokia Networks has further consolidated its position as one of our most trusted partners by achieving yet another global landmark and enabling us to deliver a truly rewarding mobile broadband experience at this high-octane sports event.”
Mark Atkinson, Vice President Small Cells Business Line, Nokia Networks, said:“In addition to setting a new landmark in TD-LTE, we have also bettered our own record achieved at the world’s first live TD-LTE network deployed for China Mobile at the same event in 2014. The incredible performance substantiates the capabilities of our small cell portfolio in helping operators overcome obstacles posed by data traffic at mass events as they deliver memorable moments to subscribers.”
Click here for a photo of Nokia Networks’ equipment installed at the event.
- Press release: Nokia Networks, China Mobile prove the power of small cells at Xiamen International Marathon 2015
- Brochure: Nokia Flexi Zone
- Whitepaper: Nokia LTE Smart Scheduler
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: TD-LTE, Small Cells, Flexi Zone, China Mobile, Nokia Networks
Nokia invests in technologies important in a world where billions of devices are connected. We are focused on three businesses: network infrastructure software, hardware and services, which we offer through Nokia Networks; location intelligence, which we provide through HERE; and advanced technology development and licensing, which we pursue through Nokia Technologies. Each of these businesses is a leader in its respective field.
Nokia Networks is the world’s specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world’s most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly.http://networks.nokia.com/
Phone: +86 10 8405 6203
Phone: +358 7140 02869
* Nokia’s compact, multi-technology, modular and weatherproof Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station is an award winner and supports a throughput of 10 Gbps. It enables energy-efficient base station sites with a 70% improvement in power consumption compared to traditional cabinet-based sites.
** Nokia Flexi Zone enables operators to increase capacity by deploying clusters of access points in hot spots and zones. The award-winning Flexi Zone is an LTE/Wi-Fi-capable solution which complements macro networks with an underlay of small cells at the street and indoor level. This provides significant performance benefits, macro co-existence, traffic offloading, simplified backhauling and low O&M impact. So operators can provide a remarkably rich customer experience in urban capacity problem areas while keeping the total cost of ownership much lower than conventional small-cell deployments.