Invests over $97M for new facility in Sydney to address continuing demand for premium data center services
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and SYDNEY — April 29, 2015 — Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ:EQIX, news, filings), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced it plans to invest over $97M to build a large-scale data center in Sydney. This new International Business Exchange (IBX®) data center, to be called SY4, will address the growing demand for premium data center services in Australia. SY4 will be Equinix’s fourth data center in Sydney, and its fifth in Australia; taking the company’s total investment in Australia close to $360M.
Highlights / Key Facts
- According to the Frost & Sullivan Australian Data Centre Services Market 20141 report, the Australian data center services market is estimated to grow to AUD$1.7B by 2020. Australia’s data center services market recorded AUD$698M in revenues for 2013 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 13.9 percent to 2020. Equinix is meeting demand for premium data center services in Australia, with the recent opening of ME1 in Melbourne, and this new, additional investment in Sydney.
- Located in Alexandria, just south of Sydney’s CBD and in close proximity to the Equinix SY1/2 and 3 campus, SY4 will provide a total of 3,000 cabinets of capacity at full build, with the first phase of 1,500 cabinets scheduled for completion in Q2 2016. The 135,000ft2 facility will help businesses safeguard mission-critical data with the highest levels of security and operational reliability.
- Demand for premium data centers services has been led by Australia’s early adoption of the hybrid cloudmodel. In a recent survey, Dimensional Research found that 85 percent of Australian enterprises are planning to deploy to multiple clouds within the next 12 months, with 83 percent of enterprises indicating that direct connects to cloud providers are highly valued . The investment in SY4 is meeting this demand with the Equinix Cloud Exchange offering businesses secure, low-latency and high-performance direct connections with public and private cloud providers.
- The IBX data centers at the Equinix Sydney campus are home to an increasing number of large enterprises, as well as robust business ecosystems for cloud, mobility, content, and financial services. With Equinix’s three Sydney data centers in close proximity, SY4 will be able to interconnect with the existing facilities via a dense dedicated fiber loop. This enables SY4 customers to leverage Equinix’s vibrant Australian ecosystems and interconnect with 600+ existing Equinix customers, 250+ cloud providers and 130+ networks.
- The new SY4 phased build is one of many in Equinix’s growing global platform—Platform Equinix™—which consists of more than 100 data centers in 33 markets. Earlier this year Equinix announced that it is boosting interconnection capacity with five new data centers in London, Melbourne, New York, Singapore and Toronto.
- The Hon. Stuart Ayres, MP, New South Wales minister for trade, tourism and major events:
“Sydney is Australia’s leading business center and capital of Australia’s top State economy. It is the first choice for many local and international businesses wanting to grow in our dynamic State. The NSW Government has worked with Equinix to support the company’s growth in Sydney and we welcome the company’s latest investment which will help to ensure that New South Wales businesses have the opportunity to leverage world-class interconnection services. These services assist in unlocking new revenue opportunities and drive growth in our digital economy. Our information and communication technology and digital/creative strengths will be on show next month at CeBIT Australia 2015 in Sydney.”
- Jeremy Deutsch, managing director, Equinix Australia:
“SY4 shows our ongoing commitment in the Sydney market and will enable our Australian customers to continue to take advantage of innovations including hybrid cloud architectures and the Equinix Cloud Exchange. The new facility will ensure that we continue to deliver on our promise to help businesses safeguard their mission-critical data, aid growth and rapid scalable deployment through our global footprint, and with the highest levels of security and operational reliability.”
- Equinix Increases its Global Footprint with a $39.4M Expansion of Sydney 3 Data Center
- Equinix Sees Strong Momentum at First Melbourne Data Center
- Equinix Connects Melbourne with New International Business Exchange Data Center
- Equinix Accelerates Interconnected Era with Global Launch of Five New Data Centers
Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ: EQIX) connects the world’s leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 33 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies.www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.