New purpose-built colocation facility meets rising demand for interconnection in Asia
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and SINGAPORE — MARCH 18, 2015 — Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ:EQIX, news, filings), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the grand opening of its third International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center, known as SG3, in Singapore. The company's flagship data center is the largest in Asia-Pacific and demonstrates Equinix's ongoing commitment to the growing market demand for premium data center services from financial and cloud companies in the region.
Euinix additionally announced that Orange Carriers Singapore, a 100 percent subsidiary of Orange Group, global communications solutions provider, and Datapipe, a global leader in managed hybrid IT solutions for the enterprise, have chosen to deploy in SG3 as part of their global expansion.
Earlier this month Equinix announced that it will open five new data centers on four continents in the coming weeks to create more capacity for global companies to connect to their partners, customers and employees. By providing this increased capacity, Equinix expands its role in advancing the digital economy's interconnected era, in which businesses are demanding increasing levels of interconnection to accelerate business performance.
Highlights / Key Facts
- With growing demand for interconnected data center facilities and managed services from the enterprise, financial services, network operators, cloud and IT sectors, Singapore is a key regional hub and a desired location for cloud service providers and major multinational enterprises.
- The opening of SG3 will further extend Platform Equinix™ to meet strong demand for premium interconnection and data center services in Singapore and the region. This expansion is in line with the steady growth of the company's leading global interconnection platform, in which Equinix has invested more than $7.5 billion over the last 16 years.
- SG3 is Equinix's largest data center facility in Asia-Pacific that was developed by Mapletree Industrial Trust ("MIT"). It is a purpose-built facility with gross floor area of approximately 385,000 square feet, which can accommodate approximately 5,000 cabinets at full build, 1,000 of which will be available in the first phase.
- By deploying in SG3, Orange Carriers Singapore and Datapipe can connect to Equinix's network-dense ecosystem of more than 1,000 networks globally, over 190 of which are directly accessible in Singapore. This provides customers with access to a large marketplace of over 4,800 potential customers and partners across more than 100 data centers worldwide, generating revenue opportunities and reducing time-to-market.
- The new IBX data center offers new paths in and out of the world's largest financial centers, enabling collaboration, innovation and business acceleration opportunities. Together, Equinix's data centers collectively provide customers with a wide reach into additional markets and the ability to rapidly scale to meet expanding business needs.
- With an initial investment of $53M, the opening of SG3 follows swiftly the sixth phase of Equinix's second Singapore IBX data center, which now provides an additional 700 cabinets, and brings the total investment in Singapore to date to well over $300M.
- With three data center facilities located in close proximity, Equinix ensures high-performance, network reliability, redundancy, and low-latency. SG3 and SG1 data centers will be interconnected through a dedicated fiber network, allowing customers in SG1 to expand their business within the Equinix platform. Direct tethering to SG1, which is the country's most network-dense data center, enables customers in SG3 to interconnect with low latency, as if they were in the same location.
- Recognizing financial customers' need for network-rich infrastructure with robust security, scalable, low-cost and low-latency connectivity, SG3 was specifically designed to meet the stringent safety and data security guidelines of the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).
- In addition, cloud and IT service providers account for a quarter of Equinix's business and is the fastest growing segment for the company. By housing IT infrastructure in SG3, the only carrier-neutral facility in Singapore, businesses are able to expand their cloud and data capabilities rapidly as data consumption and content volume continue to increase.
- As the Singapore government continues to raise the bar in data center quality through eco-friendly initiatives, Equinix has also pledged itself to adopt sustainable technologies. In an effort to minimize energy consumption, SG3 was designed with the aim of operating as energy-efficiently as possible. In addition to green features such as motion-activated LED lights, a solar power system will also be implemented—a feature unique to SG3.
- For its exemplary green initiatives, SG3 was recently presented the Platinum Award under the Building and Construction Authority—Infocomm Development Authority ("BCA-IDA") Green Mark scheme for Data Centers. The scheme assesses data centers in Singapore based on five key criteria—energy efficiency, water efficiency, sustainable construction and management, and indoor environment quality, as well as other green features.
- Yeoh Keat Chuan, managing director, Economic Development Board: "Equinix's expansion in Singapore reinforces our position as the region's leading data management and connectivity hub, to meet the growing demand for premium data center services. The significant increase in data center space by Equinix will enhance our digital infrastructure, which will enable both local and international companies to build digital capabilities, such as analytics and cybersecurity, as well as to pursue their digital transformation strategies out of Singapore."
- Tham Kuo Wei, chief executive officer, Mapletree Industrial Trust Management Ltd:
"We are pleased to complete this state-of-the-art facility for Equinix, which underscores our commitment to deliver quality and customized industrial space solutions to our clients. SG3 was designed to be energy-efficient and has been conferred the Platinum Award under the BCA-IDA Green Mark scheme for Data Centers. A key green feature of SG3 is the use of solar panels on the building to capitalize on Singapore's abundant supply of sunlight as an alternative energy source. Our partnership with Equinix further establishes MIT as a preferred real estate partner for companies requiring high specification industrial facilities."
- John Landy, chief technology officer, Datapipe:
"Datapipe is committed to meet the stringent risk assessments and security compliance requirements of its customers. As a purpose built data center with strict security standards that meet the Monetary Authority of Singapore's guidelines, Equinix provides the ideal platform to ensure high quality service delivery for our customers. In addition, SG3 allows us to plan for future expansion as demand continues to grow."
- Jayson Ho, director, Orange Carriers Singapore:
"Equinix SG3 was chosen for its strategic location and close interconnection with SG1, which allows Orange to expand its wholesales submarine cable and LTE IPX network footprint with ease. As our business continues to grow in the region with our existing SMW3/SMW4 and the upcoming cable system SMW5, we need to ensure our wholesales customers have access to high-performance and high-availability bandwidth, voice and mobile LTE connectivity as well as value added RCS services."
- Clement Goh, managing director, Equinix South Asia:
"Over the years, we have seen our customers' needs evolve to include greater demand for reliable, fast and scalable multi-cloud interconnection services in an environment that meets stringent security standards. SG3 was built to meet that demand and ensure that companies like Orange Carriers Singapore and Datapipe are ready to support their customers' needs in return. At the same time, we hope to reinforce Singapore's position as a global data management hub by providing organizations with the ability to connect to an established business ecosystem of existing and potential customers and partners via SG3."
- More information on SG3
- History of Interconnection—Part 3
- Strategically Locate Your Next Data Center
Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 33 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.