Solution Delivers Full Capability of a Diameter Signaling Controller and Session Border Controller in One Integrated Platform for Advanced Security, Routing and Policy
- Sonus introduces the embedded Diameter Signaling Controller (eDSC).
- The Sonus eDSC integrates Sonus’ SS7 and Diameter solution on top of the Sonus SBC 5110, Sonus SBC 5210 and Sonus SBC 7000 Session Border Controllers (SBCs).
- The Sonus eDSC is designed to address the performance, scalability, roaming and security needs of 4G/LTE networks as advanced real-time communications features grow.
- Sonus SBCs help mobile operators deliver secure, high Quality of Experience (QoE) Voice over LTE (VoLTE) services.
- The Sonus eDSC was chosen as “Best VoLTE Innovation” at the 2014 LTE North America Awards.
WESTFORD, Mass. – Sonus Networks, Inc. (NASDAQ:SONS, news, filings), a global leader in enabling and securing real-time communications, today introduced the award-winning Sonus embedded Diameter Signaling Controller (eDSC). With the Sonus eDSC, mobile network operators (MNO) can leverage advanced DSC and SS7 capabilities found in standalone platforms by simply activating a software license on the Sonus SBC 5110, Sonus SBC 5210 or Sonus SBC 7000 Session Border Controllers (SBCs).
Diameter, the industry standard for data signaling, and Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), the industry standard for message signaling, work in tandem to provide the signaling needs for Long-Term Evolution (LTE) networks. With the advent of click-to-connect, real-time applications for voice, video and collaboration services, both Diameter and SIP traffic have been rapidly growing as more subscribers drive data and voice over IP-based (VoIP) mobile networks. This signaling traffic, in turn, has hastened the need for centralized controllers that can help MNOs manage this latency sensitive traffic in a more intelligent, secure and scalable manner.
The Sonus eDSC is designed to address these demands by enabling MNOs to solve the Diameter routing issue, while also securely delivering SIP-based, real-time communications like voice, video and collaboration services, from the same platform. Much like the functions a SBC provides for SIP at the peering edge between two operators, a Diameter Edge Agent (DEA) does the same for Diameter. For MNOs looking to normalize these protocols at their ingress/egress point, an integrated SBC/DEA solution helps provides increased network operational efficiencies and performance improvements by integrating common security, interworking, interconnect and network management functions.
Sonus SBCs help mobile operators deliver a high Quality of Experience (QoE) in Voice over LTE (VoLTE) networks with support for high-definition (HD) voice and SIP signaling control and media anchoring to ensure seamless voice call continuity across networks. Additionally, Sonus SBCs provide scalable signaling interworking, media transcoding, signaling and media encryption, policy enforcement, topology hiding and denial of service (DoS) protection needed in VoLTE networks.
In addition to full SBC and DSC functionality, the Sonus eDSC provides interworking (IWF) between Diameter and legacy SS7 systems, enabling 2G and 3G networks to deliver smoother operations of dual technology, ensuring a high quality of experience for subscribers. The integration of SBC, DSC and IWF functionality onto a single platform allow LTE service providers to simplify network management, reduce network complexity and speed the roll out advanced IP-based services for real-time communications.
The Sonus eDSC expands the Sonus Diameter portfolio, giving MNOs greater flexibility to deploy hardware (DSC 8000), SBC integrated (eDSC) or Virtualized (DSC SWe) Diameter solutions to best address their business needs.
“Click-to-connect type applications that sit on smartphones, tablets and computers are driving significant amounts of Diameter signaling traffic across LTE networks,” said David Tipping, vice president and general manager, Products, Sonus. “The increased congestion, paired with the SIP-based traffic of voice and video, has put new strains on LTE networks worldwide. The Sonus eDSC uniquely solves this challenge, by integrating the capabilities of a DSC and SBC on one common platform, allowing MNO to solve the Diameter dilemma, while also reducing the complexity of their network and saving money.”
“The increased use of mobile broadband networks is driving the growth of Diameter signaling within and between operators. This signaling traffic, in turn, has hastened the need for centralized controllers that can help manage the traffic in a more efficient and scalable manner,” said Diane Myers, principal analyst, Infonetics Research (part of IHS Inc.). “With the addition of the eDSC to its portfolio offering, Sonus provides service providers greater flexibility to deploy hardware, virtualized or SBC-integrated Diameter solutions to best meet their business needs.”
- The Sonus eDSC received the “Best VoLTE Innovation” at the 2014 LTE North America Awards. The product was recognized for innovation specific to virtualizing and joining together the features of a DSC together with a SBC to help simply and seamlessly enable and secure VoLTE services. A panel of eight leading industry experts independently judged the competition.
- Infonetics Research, part of IHS Inc. (NYSE: IHS), forecasts the global DSC market to grow from $381 million in 2014 to $1.3 billion in 2018, in line with the growth of mobile broadband traffic within and between operators.
- Attend the Sonus webinar “Three Ways to Put Your Network on the LTE On-Ramp” on Wednesday, February 25 at 2:00 p.m. ET.
- To learn about the benefits of Diameter Signaling for mobile providers download the White Paper series, “The Diameter Edge: Ensuring Network Viability,” “Diameter Interworking: Easing the Network Transition and Increasing Revenues” and “Integrate Diameter and SS7 Protocol: Protecting Investments.”
- For more information on the Sonus Diameter Signaling Controllers portfolio click here.
- For more information on Sonus Session Border Controllers click here.
Sonus Networks, SONS, Embedded Diameter Signaling Controller, Diameter, eDSC, DSC SWe, Session Border Controller, SBC, Session Initiation Protocol, SIP, Wireless, Security, Interworking, SBC 5110, SBC 5210, SBC 7000, SS7, LTE, 4G/LTE, IWF, VoLTE
Sonus brings intelligence and security to real-time communications. By helping the world embrace the next generation of cloud-based SIP and 4G/LTE solutions, Sonus enables and secures latency-sensitive, mission critical traffic for VoIP, video, instant messaging and online collaboration. With Sonus, enterprises can give priority to real-time communications based on smart business rules while service providers can offer reliable, comprehensive and secure on-demand network services to their customers. With solutions deployed in more than 100 countries and nearly two decades of experience, Sonus offers a complete portfolio of hardware-based and virtualized Session Border Controllers (SBCs), Diameter Signaling Controllers (DSCs), Network as a Service capabilities, policy/routing servers and media and signaling gateways. For more information, visit www.sonus.net or call 1-855-GO-SONUS.
Important Information Regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
The information in this release may contain certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 regarding future events that involve risks and uncertainties. Although Sonus believes that its expectations are based on reasonable assumptions, readers are cautioned that these forward-looking statements are only predictions and are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult to predict. All statements other than statements of historical facts contained in this report are forward-looking statements. Our actual results may differ materially from those contemplated by the forward-looking statements. For further information regarding risks and uncertainties associated with Sonus' business, please refer to the "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations" and "Risk Factors" sections of Sonus' filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Any forward-looking statements represent Sonus' views only as of the date on which such statement is made, and should not be relied upon as representing Sonus' views as of any subsequent date. While Sonus may elect to update forward-looking statements at some point, Sonus specifically disclaims any obligation to do so, except as required by law.
Wendy Tullo, +1-978-614-8167
Lois Paul & Partners
Siobhan Nguyen, +1-617-986-5784
In EMEA: EML Wildfire
In APAC: Cohn & Wolfe
- See more at: http://www.sonus.net/en/resources/press-releases/sonus-simplifies-management-of-lte-networks-with-introduction-of-embedded#sthash.HZJTjp2c.dpuf