- Nokia’s Flexi Zone small cell micro base stations supported a record number of 400 simultaneous active LTE users per base station at the event
- China Mobile provided a high-quality, high-speed connection to its customers throughout the event despite extreme traffic load in the network
Beijing, China – 16 February 2015
China Mobile, the world’s largest mobile telecommunications company, selected Nokia Networks to implement its Flexi Zone* TD-LTE small cell solution for the 2015 Xiamen Marathon**, an international sports event in China. With this, the operator could easily scale up its network capacity to efficiently manage the unprecedented surge in wireless data traffic expected at the event. Its customers enjoyed a seamless mobile broadband experience with excellent performance.
During the event, traffic load in the network reached its peak as many of the 45,000 spectators used various apps to share their captured pictures and videos (6500 4G LTE users at peak). Nokia’s Flexi Zone TD-LTE small cells managed wireless data with up to 400 simultaneous active LTE users per base station – 4 to 8 times more simultaneous users than other outdoor small cells.
- With macro software parity, the Nokia Flexi Zone base stations delivered 100% availability with key performance indicators (KPIs) above 99.8% throughout the entire event.
- Nokia’s Global Services experts implemented the Flexi Zone solution, managed the capacity configuration and supported the team on site.
Yu Xiaohan, Head of China Mobile Customer Team, Nokia Networks, said: “We are proud that we helped China Mobile and ultimately the spectators at this mass event such that every picture, video and call could go through the network without any compromise on speed and quality. People were able to enjoy a great LTE performance .”
Did you know?
Nokia Networks enabled the world’s first live TV broadcast via TD-LTE with China Mobile to transmit high-quality video of Xiamen International Marathon 2013 for broadcasters.The unique scaling capabilities of Nokia’s Evolved Packet Core with independent dimensioning of the throughput and signaling capacities enable operators to handle data traffic explosions more efficiently.
Click here for a photo of Nokia Flexi Zone small cell.
- Blog: Brilliant LTE display at Busan Fireworks festival in Korea
- Webinar: Grow capacity
- Datasheet: Nokia Flexi Zone
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: mobile broadband, TD-LTE, small cells, flexi zone
Nokia invests in technologies important in a world where billions of devices are connected. We are focused on three businesses: network infrastructure software, hardware and services, which we offer through Nokia Networks; location intelligence, which we provide through HERE; and advanced technology development and licensing, which we pursue through Nokia Technologies. Each of these businesses is a leader in its respective field.
Nokia Networks is the world’s specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world’s most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly. http://networks.nokia.com/ // http://company.nokia.com
Phone: +86 10 8405 6203
Phone: +358 7140 02869
* Nokia Flexi Zone enables operators to increase capacity by deploying clusters of access points in hot spots and zones. The award-winning Flexi Zone is an LTE/Wi-Fi-capable solution which complements macro networks with an underlay of small cells at the street and indoor level. This provides significant performance benefits, macro co-existence, traffic offloading, simplified backhauling and low O&M impact so that operators can provide a remarkably rich customer experience in urban capacity problem areas while keeping the total cost of ownership much lower than traditional small-cell deployments.
** Since 2003, the Xiamen International Marathon has been an annual race held in January in the coastal city of Xiamen in the Fujian province of China. It has been deemed as an IAAF Gold Label Road Race and is famous for its coastal scenic course. Approximately 43,000 runners took part in the race this year.
– See more at: http://networks.nokia.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/nokia-networks-china-mobile-prove-the-power-of-small-cells-at-xiamen-international-maratho#sthash.mXuvUefh.dpuf