New wholesale Carrier Ethernet solutions enable fibre to the home (FTTH), wireless backhaul and smart metering in Upper Austria
HANOVER, Md. — 02/4/2015
Energie AG Data is transforming its entire network to provide advanced wholesale Carrier Ethernet and Ethernet business services in Upper Austria. Working in consultation withKapsch BusinessCom and Ciena® (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), Energie AG will enable service provider and enterprise customers to take advantage of a range of new Ethernet offerings. This will equip Energie AG to offer enterprises, utilities, healthcare providers and schools, greater access to advanced networks and high-bandwidth applications, such as cloud computing, video conferencing and intelligent power grids.
- Energie AG Data is the telecommunications department of Energie AG, the largest utilities services provider in Upper Austria. It operates a network that spans more than 5,000 kilometers, providing Internet access, VoIP, security and hosting services.
- Ciena is supplying a wide range of packet networking platforms for this network enhancement. The 3902, 3916 and 3930 Service Delivery Switches, the 5142, 5150, 5160Service Aggregation Switches and the 8700 Packetwave Platform provide Energie AG a seamless, end-to-end Carrier Ethernet solution. More specifically, the 8700 offers multi-terabit Ethernet switching and aggregation optimised for 10GbE and 100GbE service aggregation to greatly simplify metro Ethernet networking and help Energie AG cost-effectively grow as market demands evolve toward Carrier Ethernet 2.0 services.
- Additionally, Ciena’s Service-Aware Operating System (SAOS) and OneControl Unified Management System help Energie AG improve operational efficiency and accommodate a variety of deployment scenarios and end-customer demands. OneControl provides greater network visibility to improve bandwidth optimisation, service deployment and troubleshooting.
- As a member of Ciena’s BizConnect partner programme, Kapsch is supported with a robust portfolio of Ciena solutions, training and go-to-market support.
- “Next-generation networks are a key step in meeting requirements for high-capacity, cost-effective bandwidth; especially as organisations increasingly rely on cloud-based services and consumers continue to adopt high-capacity applications. With Ciena and Kapsch we not only have leading, end-to-end networking technology that allows us to offer a wide portfolio of solutions, but also superb service and support.”
- Ing. Dr. Manfred Litzlbauer MBA MAS, managing director at Energie AG Data
- “Working with Ciena to deliver advanced business Ethernet services to Energie AG is testament to a strong, effective and valuable partnership. As a Diamond partner in Ciena’s BizConnect programme, we have made strategic investments so that we can deliver both business and technological value to our customers in Europe.”
- Ing. Andreas Luftensteiner MBA, sales manager - transmission and broadband, at KapschBusinessCom AG
- “Business success depends on network service performance and availability. With advanced Ethernet services, Energie AG is helping consumers and organisations of all sizes benefit from a variety of essential applications – from mobile connectivity to broadband and high-capacity services – which will help create a brighter, high-speed future for Upper Austria.”
- Franck Welter, head of partners, enterprise and public sector, EMEA, at Ciena
- Data sheet: Ciena’s packet networking portfolio
- Video: Revolutionizing Metro Ethernet Networks
- Brochure: OneControl: Management the way it should be
- Video: OneControl Unified Management System
About Energie AG
Energie AG is a modern and efficient provider of electricity, gas, heating and water, as well as waste management and ICT services. The Company stands for the utmost quality and reliability of our products, processes and services. As a competent and competitive company, we guarantee our customers a fair price/performance relationship. Energie AG is regionally present in Austria, southern Germany, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia, and stands for a pleasant collaboration with customers, employees and suppliers, as well as with the public. We care about future generations and focus our actions with ecological and social impact in mind.
About Kapsch BusinessCom
Kapsch BusinessCom – a company of the Kapsch Group – is a leading ICT service partner in Austria, Central and Eastern Europe with over 1,400 employees and annual sales exceeding 300 million euros. Embedded in the Kapsch Group, Kapsch BusinessCom is active worldwide with its own offices in Austria and subsidiaries in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Poland. Kapsch has positioned itself as an ICT service partner offering a complete solution portfolio covering the areas of information technology as well as telecommunications. In addition to system integration and continuous optimization measures, Kapsch BusinessCom is increasingly taking on responsibility for the entire area of operations. Kapsch BusinessCom relies on manufacturer independence and partnerships with globally leading technology providers, such as Apple, Aastra, Avaya, Ciena, Cisco, Ericsson, Google, Hitachi, HP and Microsoft. In concert with these partners Kapsch offers its services as a consultant, system supplier and service provider, but above all as a reliable, dependable, long-term trusted advisor in a rapidly changing technological environment. Kapsch BusinessCom always generates clear added value for its over 17,000 customers.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedInhttp://www.linkedin.com/company/ciena. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-K, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on December 19, 2014. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(877) 243 6273
+44 207 012 5869