Combined solution offers a fully integrated end-to-end network architecture that addresses enterprises’ need for capacity and flexibility
HANOVER, Md. and SANTA CLARA, Calif. – November 20, 2014 – Ciena® (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings) and Avayaare introducing an end-to-end WAN-LAN data networking solution to cost-effectively simplify network operations for enterprises while increasing control when delivering on-demand services. Combining the intelligence and simplicity of Avaya Fabric Connect technology with the programmability and scalability of Ciena’s converged packet optical and packet networking platforms, the solution provides enterprises of all sizes with a flexible architecture that can be managed dynamically as their needs evolve. It delivers the flexibility to easily migrate to new service delivery models such as hybrid cloud and data center footprint consolidation, as well as simplifying the inclusion of new network locations. The solution supports government, healthcare, and large enterprise customers’ growing use of real-time applications such as Unified Communications, business video, and Wi-Fi-enabled mobility.
- The integrated offering allows businesses to fully virtualize the network and reap the benefits of a unified infrastructure. Empowering multi-service virtualization helps businesses to securely converge mission-specific applications, and provide each with customized connectivity and network functionality. This is achieved through the combination of:
o Ciena’s packet networking and E-Suite solutions, all delivered on a programmable platform, which provide the foundational WAN element; and,
o Avaya’s Fabric Connect technology – enabling a simple, yet sophisticated, Ethernet and IP service delivery layer with embedded intelligence to leverage the flexibility and capacity of the underlying transport service.
- With this solution, network operators have increased visibility and control of their networks through with the integrated intelligence and programmability of the Ciena and Avaya platforms. Specifically, it provides fault awareness end-to-end across the network and supports orchestration via third-party dashboards.
- For example, an educational institution can offer separate virtualized networks for students, faculty, business operations, financial transactions, and public safety CCTV. The new solution will allow the institution to converge multiple services and seamlessly transport them across the WAN, thereby reducing the overall cost and complexity of the network architecture.
- Available today, the solution is supported by Ciena and Avaya and offered through mutual channel partners Ronco Communications and Integration Partners.
- “At Ciena, we leverage our strategic alliances to create an ecosystem of integrated solutions to fully optimize new and existing channels to market. With the combined strength of Ciena and Avaya, we have created an integrated IT networking solution that delivers a more agile and responsive network, resulting in improved business productivity and continuity for today’s enterprises.”
- Ian Harris, Chief Technology Officer of Alliances at Ciena
- “Today’s enterprises have the challenge of meeting exponential and unpredictable bandwidth growth, while staying within their budgets. Through our collaboration with Ciena, we have developed a solution to help our enterprise customers address this issue by enabling them to seamlessly turn-up or turn-down new services without any impact to end-users. ”
- Mark Randall, Senior Vice President and General Manager at Avaya
Avaya is a leading provider of solutions that enable customer and team engagement across multiple channels and devices for better customer experience, increased productivity and enhanced financial performance. Its world-class contact center and unified communications technologies and services are available in a wide variety of flexible on-premises and cloud deployment options that seamlessly integrate with non-Avaya applications. The Avaya Engagement Development Platform enables third parties to create and customize business applications for competitive advantage. Avaya’s fabric-based networking solutions help simplify and accelerate the deployment of business critical applications and services. For more information please visit www.avaya.com.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedInhttp://www.linkedin.com/company/ciena. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on September 9, 2014. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.