Cinenet’s AU$70,000 investment to bring high-speed connectivity to screen media customers in underserved market
SYDNEY — October 7, 2014 — Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ:EQIX, news, filings), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that Cinenet Systems Pty will increase its local deployment with Equinix by expanding into ME1, Equinix’s first Melbourne data center when it opens later this year. Cinenet, which is already located in one of Equinix’s Sydney facilities, SY1, is Australia’s only high-speed broadband data network created specifically for screen media industries.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Founded in 2004, Cinenet, a collaboration between the founders of Rising Sun Pictures and Internode, is a shared network for studios, producers, editing facilities, visual effects providers, sound facilities and DVD producers to create and exchange large digital assets and connect to infrastructure providers. To support the low latency and high performance connectivity its customers require, Cinenet will be investing approximately AU$70,000 in network infrastructure at ME1.
- Through Platform Equinix™, Cinenet can easily and quickly identify new business partners as it looks to expand into international media markets such as Los Angeles. At ME1, Cinenet will utilize Equinix’s network ecosystem, making it one of the richest IP network interconnection points in the Asia-Pacific region. A key reason for deploying with Equinix originally was the access that Equinix provided to services relevant to Cinenet’s customers.
- Cinenet chose to expand further within Equinix because of the density of cloud service providers available on Platform Equinix. Increasingly organizations are seeking to deploy hybrid IT models which involve connecting to a combination of public and private cloud providers. With this expansion, Cinenet will be able to facilitate direct connectivity to key cloud providers such as Amazon Web Services, Zettagrid and Engineroom.
- Being remote to the data center, Cinenet relies on Equinix’s SmartHands™ service to manage its onsite requirements, ensuring optimal performance for it and its customers.
- Located in Port Melbourne, ME1 will provide a capacity of 1,500 cabinets, with the first phase of 375 cabinets scheduled for completion in Q4 2014. Melbourne accounts for almost a quarter of Australia’s economic activity and has become a hub for technology companies.
Tony Clark, director, Cinenet Systems Pty Ltd:
“Since first colocating in Equinix’s Sydney data center in 2009, we’ve built a trusted relationship with Equinix and have consistently been pleased by its fantastic service level. By deploying in SY1 we have been able to readily access a range of other telecommunications providers quickly and simply to better serve our customers, and we look forward to further heightening our quality of service through our move into ME1.”
Jeremy Deutsch, managing director, Equinix Australia:
“Equinix prides itself on making it easier and more cost effective for businesses to scale their operations in line with their immediate business requirements. Cinenet’s deployment in ME1 not only advances the Melbourne market but allows the company to identify new business partners and expand its footprint further within Australia and internationally.”
Cinenet is a collaboration between the founders of Rising Sun Pictures and Internode, building on the expertise of both to provide Australian clients with an edge in a competitive global market. Cinenet is built on the carrier grade National Tier 1 infrastructure of Agile Communications and offers services in all Australian capital cities and selected regional areas. http://www.cine.net.au/
Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ: EQIX), connects more than 4,500 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 32 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix’s recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.