Enterprises in five new markets now have direct access to a variety of cloud resources through the Equinix Cloud Exchange
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and HERNDON, Va. — September 4, 2014 — Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ:EQIX, news, filings), the global interconnection and data center company, and XO Communications (XO) today announced an agreement to provide enterprises with dedicated connectivity to multiple cloud service providers through the Equinix Cloud Exchange, an advanced interconnection solution that enables seamless, on-demand and direct access to multiple clouds and multiple networks inside Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers.
Traditionally, security and performance concerns have deterred businesses from accessing cloud environments via the public Internet. Today, enterprises leveraging the Equinix Cloud Exchange along with secure, scalable and reliable XO Internet Protocol Virtual Private Network (IP-VPN) technology can accelerate their cloud strategies unencumbered by the challenges and reduce risks associated with public Internet access.
XO will offer high speed, direct access to multiple cloud services on the Equinix Cloud Exchange in five Equinix IBX data centers across the United States including Washington, D.C., Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles and Silicon Valley.
Highlights / Key Facts
- By bringing together cloud and network service providers with enterprises and enabling them to establish private, high-performance connections, the Equinix Cloud Exchange gives cloud users direct access to the services they need to build sophisticated hybrid cloud solutions.
- While the desire for multi-cloud solutions is well documented, the challenge for service providers lies in determining how to effectively serve this demand. According to a commissioned study conducted by Forrester Consulting on behalf of XO Communications And Juniper Networks, 72 percent of IT respondents surveyed stated that application developers want a multi-cloud environment to compose business services across multiple platforms. [Forrester Consulting, Building for the Future: What the New World of Cloud IT Means for the Network, September, 2013].
- Businesses can join the Equinix Cloud Exchange in 17 markets globally – Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Silicon Valley, Washington D.C., New York, Toronto, Seattle, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, London, Paris, Amsterdam and Frankfurt – with expansion planned to a total of 19 markets by the end of 2014.
- Chris Sharp, vice president, cloud innovation, Equinix:
“We’re delighted to have XO’s networking services available on the Equinix Cloud Exchange to offer enterprise customers another great option for connectivity to the cloud in an easy-to-manage and secure environment. As our customers’ IT needs change, it’s our goal to provide direct access to the network and cloud services they need in order to build sophisticated multi-cloud solutions inside Equinix data centers.”
- Nicola Jackson, vice president, product and marketing, XO Communications:
“As businesses of all sizes migrate more services and applications to the cloud, XO is taking a leadership role in enabling dedicated network access to a wide range of public cloud resources through both direct connections and cloud exchanges. As such, XO is very pleased to be one of the first network service providers to access the new Equinix Cloud Exchange. For enterprises, the evolving hybrid cloud architecture demands the security, visibility, high speed and flexible connectivity that XO will deliver via the Equinix Cloud Exchange.”
- Equinix Cloud Exchange brings New Level of Interconnection and Potential to the Cloud [blog]
- Charting a path from the network to the multi-cloud [white paper]
- Forrester Consulting report [white paper]
About XO Communications
XO Communications is a leading nationwide provider of advanced IP communications, intelligent networking and cloud computing services for business, large enterprise and wholesale customers. These customers include more than half of the Fortune 500, in addition to leading cable, mobile wireless and domestic and international telecommunications companies. XO offers a superior customer experience through its innovative solutions, its employees’ focus on customers and the proven performance of its advanced network. To learn more about XO Communications, visit www.xo.com or blog.xo.com. XO Communications is also on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and LinkedIn.
About Equinix Cloud Exchange
The Equinix Cloud Exchange is an advanced interconnection solution that enables seamless, on-demand and direct access to multiple clouds, across multiple networks around the globe. By combining the automated interconnection of cloud, network and managed service providers with advanced service orchestration for the first time, the Equinix Cloud Exchange provides enterprises with simple, scalable, direct access to the multiple cloud services they need to build highly flexible hybrid cloud solutions. This removes the security, performance and vendor lock-in concerns holding many organizations back from fully adopting and reaping the benefits of cloud services. For more information on the Equinix Cloud Exchange, please visit http://www.equinix.com/solutions/by-services/interconnection/exchanges/equinix-cloud-exchange/.
Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ: EQIX), connects more than 4,500 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world's most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 32 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. http://www.equinix.com
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.