Small cells critical to TDC’s provision of enhanced ultra-broadband coverage and services
Paris, June 10, 2014
Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and TDC, Denmark’s largest telecommunications company, today announced the deployment of Alcatel-Lucent’s small cell solution to address the increased need for coverage and capacity.
As part of their rollout strategy, TDC will deploy the small cells in two phases – the first, in 2014, to expand coverage to its VIP Enterprise customers, and the second, beginning in 2015, deploying small cells directly in the homes of customers requiring enhanced service.
Small cells enable TDC to offer a greater scale of ultra-broadband access and services, such as advanced multimedia applications, being deployable quickly, at a lower cost, with lower energy consumption. Furthermore, with Denmark one of the world’s most environmentally conscious nations, the unobtrusive design – compared to traditional cell towers – of Alcatel-Lucent’s small cells devices will contribute to a green and sustainable society and considerations for preserving architecural tradition.
- TDC is deploying small cells to improve the customer experience for their enterprise customers by enhancing localized capacity and coverage particularly in office buildings where access is often blocked by buildings and other environmental elements.
- Phase one of TDC’s Femto VIP access for enterprises will be deployed in 2014. Phase two for individual customers will be start in 2015.
- Alcatel-Lucent is supplying its 9362 Enterprise Cell and the 9366 Small Cell Gateway to support coverage and capacity demands of TDC’s enterprise customers. The 9361 Home Cell will also be deployed for residential consumer use.
- TDC’s deployment of Alcatel-Lucent’s small cells solution is a primary example of an industry transformation in network architecture that will include large scale integration of small cells as part of a ‘heterogeneous network’.
- Alcatel-Lucent’s small cell portfolio has over 65 commercial contracts, in more than 45 countries, with over 20 ongoing trials.
Kim Søgård Kristensen, CTO of TDC said: “Danes are considered among the world’s happiest people because of our quality of life. One of the ways TDC is striving to keep our customers happy is by providing the best possible experience when using our services. Providing small cells is a great solution for our enterprise customers. With the deployment of a small cell, an enterprise can have the voice reliability they need and their work efficiency will improved by eliminating dropped calls and enabling employees to simultaneously work with both mobile voice and data.”
Luis Martinez Amago, President Europe, Middle East and Africa of Alcatel-Lucent said: “TDC explored several solutions to offer their VIP customers the mobile voice coverage they wanted. But micro cells, repeaters, and other choices were too expensive for broad deployment. Our small cells were the perfect solution to allow TDC to provide enhanced service for each enterprise customer across Denmark.”
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
We are at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, and to enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning us in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of the Group and one of the world’s foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Our innovations have resulted in our Group being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012’s Top 50 “World’s Most Innovative Companies”. We have also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader in the Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review, for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the Group’s mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2013, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.