Academic & Research Network Bolsters Backbone to Support Big Data Science and Cloud-Based Services
WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND--(Marketwired - Jun 17, 2014) - Juniper Networks (NASDAQ:JNPR, news, filings), the industry leader in network innovation, today announced that Research and Education Advanced Network New Zealand Ltd (REANNZ) has placed its first 100 Gigabit per second network links into service, using Juniper Networks® MX Series 3D Universal Edge Routers. REANNZ is using its MX480 routers to implement high-performance 100 Gbps links that accelerate cloud-based services adoption and support "big data" science on both a national and international basis.
Providing high performance, density and reliability, the SDN-ready MX Series enables service providers and enterprises to build advanced network architectures that increase network automation and scale and facilitate the creation of new services. With comprehensive support for physical and virtual network functions, the MX Series 3D portfolio is tightly aligned with Juniper's Software Defined Network (SDN) strategy.
REANNZ is a Crown owned company that manages the high-performance network designed specifically to serve the needs of the New Zealand research, education and innovation communities. Its 160 members and associate members -- comprising primary, secondary schools and tertiary institutions, Crown Research Institutes, institutes of technology and polytechnics, libraries, museums and government agencies -- leverage the REANNZ network to meet their evolving needs.
- Traffic growth across the REANNZ network is accelerating rapidly, with year-on-year growth of nearly 80 percent. International research-specific traffic has risen even faster, growing more than 230 percent year-on-year. The MX480, which offers multi-terabit system capacity in a compact form factor, scales to accommodate REANNZ's current and future traffic demands.
- Leveraging an innovative public/private partnership with FX Networks that establishes a shared optical network infrastructure among several New Zealand sites, REANNZ is now using Juniper Networks MX480 routers to create a 100 Gbps network ring that connects its Auckland fibre optic ring to two Southern Cross Cable Network landing stations. The MX480 will also support wire-speed 40 Gbps connectivity to Australia and the United States, with a future upgrade to 100Gbps already planned.
- REANNZ also utilizes Juniper Networks MX80 routers in points-of-presence throughout New Zealand; together with the new MX480 routers, the entire REANNZ routing infrastructure will run on Juniper Networks Junos® operating system. This allows REANNZ to reduce operational complexity by streamlining network administration, and permits non-disruptive network upgrades using unified In Service Software Upgrade (ISSU).
- Importantly, both the new MX480s and pre-existing MX80s are SDN-ready, providing REANNZ with a platform for long term innovation and investment protection. SDN has gained momentum in the scientific research community because it enables real-time reconfiguration of network resources. REANNZ members are now leveraging SDN within 'Science DMZs' to increase researcher productivity by facilitating rapid multi-gigabyte data set sharing.
"Deployment of Juniper Networks MX Series 3D Universal Edge Routers to deliver 100 Gbps services is an essential element in our drive to ensure that New Zealand researchers and educationalists are able to use our advanced network to meet the challenges of participating in the global research arena and access the rapidly developing research-orientated cloud-computing infrastructure. Now, universities and Crown Research Institutes can outsource IT services to cost-effective cloud-based providers, which wouldn't be a viable option if they weren't connected over a high-performing network. Similarly, international collaboration on the scale of connecting AUT University's Warkworth radio telescope into the Square Kilometer Array project in Australia at 10 Gbps is now a reality. Developments like these are key to keeping New Zealand science at the cutting edge of research and innovation."
- Steve Cotter, chief executive officer, Research and Education Advanced Network New Zealand Ltd
"We're very pleased to be REANNZ's network technology partner in supporting advanced scientific research, and the transition to cloud-based service models across New Zealand's education sector. The MX Series 3D, with reliable high-density 100 Gbps, will help REANNZ create a High-IQ Network that connects ideas to opportunity and makes their vision of a highly interconnected future a reality."
- Mike Marcellin, senior vice president, strategy & marketing, Juniper Networks
- About REANNZ: http://www.reannz.co.nz/
- REANNZ on Twitter: https://twitter.com/REANNZnews
- Juniper.Net Community: www.juniper.net/community
- Juniper on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Junipernetworks
- Juniper on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JuniperNetworks
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) delivers innovation across routing, switching and security. From the network core down to consumer devices, Juniper Networks' innovations in software, silicon and systems transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.