RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C., June 17, 2014 – Overture today announced Harmony, an ecosystem of hardware, software and services partners focused on accelerating service provider’s automation and network functions virtualization (NFV) initiatives at the metro service edge. The Harmony partner program is a pillar of the open environment that Overture believes to be essential for the realization of software-defined services. It allows service providers to select best of breed components and avoid single vendor proprietary systems, while also decreasing their project risks and accelerating deployments.
Overture President and CEO, Mike Aquino, sees the industry moving towards a strong and open ecosystem that is crucial for the success of NFV-based services. “Our customers have been very clear with us: a multi-vendor ecosystem is crucial for cloud, virtualization, and software-defined service solutions,” said Aquino. “They are demanding open architectures, vendor cooperation, and open interfaces. This has led us to introduce our Harmony program, an ecosystem of partners committed to working together on behalf of our customers.”
Many of the partnerships being formalized began in the proofs of concepts stage, which are now moving quickly into real-world deployment plans. The initial partners in the Harmony ecosystem are:
- 6WIND – 6WIND’s 6WINDGate™ packet processing software is optimized for cost-effective hardware running Linux with a choice of multicore processors to deliver a wide variety of networking and security protocols and features. 6WINDGate delivers the performance required for a cost-effective value proposition towards next generation architectures, enabling the transition to the future with Network Functions Virtualization.
- Aeroflex – Aeroflex TeraVM is a service validation solution, used to verify functionality and performance of services being deployed in the Harmony ecosystem. Aeroflex Holding Corp. is a leading global provider of high performance microelectronic components, and test and measurement equipment used by companies in the space, avionics, defense, commercial wireless communications, medical and other markets.
- Brocade – The Brocade Vyatta Platform delivers an interoperable and modular solution that encompasses proven Layer 3-7 Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) and emerging Software-Defined Networking (SDN) technologies based on open standards and open source initiatives.
- Dell – Dell is a pioneer in Open Networking and a long-time proponent of and participant in the open source and OpenStack communities, promoting an open alternative to proprietary, close-ended infrastructure. Dell embraces NFV and the Harmony ecosystem initiative across its portfolio of server, storage, networking and software technologies.
- EnterpriseWeb – EnterpriseWeb® is an award-winning platform for agile, scalable software solutions. Supporting ‘smart’ data-driven and policy-controlled apps and processes, EnterpriseWeb provides a Virtual Network Platform-as-a-Service (VNPaaS) to the CloudNFV ecosystem. It allows Virtual Network Functions (VNFs), Network Resources, and Management Policies to be modeled then composed as dynamic, data-driven Business Services.
- Intel – The Intel® Communications and Storage Infrastructure Group (CSIG) provides unified ingredients and platform technologies to transform telecom, enterprise IT and private/public cloud environments. CSIG’s three global business groups – dedicated to data storage and retrieval, Ethernet connectivity, and telecommunications – support software–defined infrastructures to help customers maximize revenue while reducing operating costs.
- JDSU – JDSU is a worldwide leading provider of network and service enablement solutions including testing, monitoring, assurance, and analytics. JDSU helps customers overcome the operational challenges associated with new technology and service introductions and is working with partners to develop next-generation virtualized solutions used for the monitoring and assurance of next-generation networks.
- Metaswitch Networks – Metaswitch is powering the transition of communication networks into a cloud-based, software-centric, all-IP future. With a reputation earned by solving tough technical problems, Metaswitch develops openly programmable solutions that run on standard hardware or in virtualized environments and act as the control points in elastic voice, video and data networks.
- Qosmos - Qosmos specializes in DPI software, which recognizes thousands of protocols and metadata attributes to provide the most accurate picture of real-time data activity on networks. Qosmos software is embedded by vendors into NFV solutions where real-time L4-7 intelligence is critical, such as dynamic service chaining and policy enforcement.
- Wind River – Wind River’s portfolio of open, scalable, carrier grade software, development tools, and services address the unique six-9s reliability and high performance needs of telecommunications and critical infrastructure networks. We offer the industry’s only commercially supported, fully integrated carrier grade NFV solutions that help companies realize greater service capabilities, reduce CAPEX and OPEX, and accelerate their path to NFV.
The Harmony partner ecosystem follows Overture’s recent announcements of the availability of three key elements of the Ensemble OSA: the Ensemble Service Orchestrator, Ensemble Network Controller and, most recently, the Overture 65vSE. Ensemble OSA™ is the industry’s first complete and open platform for service automation and network functions virtualization that is built specifically for the service provider metro edge.
Currently operating in a number of field trials and proofs of concept, Ensemble OSA brings together open automation and management of both the physical Carrier Ethernet and virtual infrastructure to help communications service providers introduce new revenue-generating services with agility and speed that have never before been possible.
In addition to its own Harmony ecosystem, Overture has also recently joined the partner programs of Intel (Intel Network Builders) and Cyan (Blue Orbit).
About Overture Networks
Overture is the preferred provider of Carrier Ethernet solutions for the metro service edge. By leveraging Overture’s Carrier Ethernet expertise and its new Ensemble Open Service Architecture™ for software-defined services, network operators and service providers worldwide are maximizing operational efficiencies and introducing new revenue-generating services on a scale never before possible.
Overture is headquartered in Research Triangle Park, NC, with sales offices around the globe. For more information, visit http://www.overturenetworks.com