Enhancements to Juniper Networks(R) SRX Series Services Gateways Offer Enterprises Added Security and Control While Providing Greater Efficiency and Flexibility
SUNNYVALE, CA--(Marketwired - Jun 25, 2014) - Juniper Networks (NASDAQ:JNPR, news, filings), the industry leader in network innovation, today announced powerful new capabilities in its Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW) solutions for protecting the enterprise edge, offering added security, control and efficiency while being easier to deploy and manage.
As security threats to enterprises continue to get more advanced and targeted, organizations need firewalls to provide added layers of security without adding complexity. Yet, the bulk of organizations are only now beginning to consider what NGFW can do for them. According to Gartner, less than 20 percent of enterprise Internet connections today are secured using NGFWs, and that by year-end 2014, this will rise to 35 percent of the installed base, with 70 percent of new enterprise edge purchases being NGFWs.(1)
The capabilities introduced today as part of Juniper Networks NGFW enable large organizations to manage a broad range of deployments and use cases while simplifying administrative overhead. Juniper's solution also offers simplified and centralized management and an open services platform for essential security features including intrusion prevention system (IPS), unified threat management (UTM) and application visibility. Further, the technology helps optimize enterprise resources for business-critical activities by prioritizing who gets access to what applications and what applications get prioritized on the network.
News Highlights Juniper Networks is introducing new enhancements to its SRX Series Services Gateways that provide next-generation security to help customers protect against threats and control what's on their network without adding a heavy administrative burden.
- Simplified Management:
- Centralized management of Juniper Networks SRX and virtual Firefly Perimeter firewalls is made easier with Junos Space Security Director's integrated logging and reporting, and role-based access controls that manage next generation security services including user firewall, application security (AppSecure) and UTM. A single, central management platform delivers a simple method for managing all Juniper Networks firewalls, eliminating the complexity and time needed to support multiple management platforms.
- Juniper Networks SRX now integrates directly with Active Directory to apply user role-based firewall policies without requiring any additional devices or agents. This integrated solution will simplify deployment of user role-based firewall capabilities in cases where a customer doesn't need a full end-to-end user security solution such as Juniper's Unified Access Control service.
- For organizations looking to combine security for the data center and enterprise edge into a single box, AppID delivers granular management of application visibility and control on a per policy basis. These controls allow AppID to be used to protect enterprise edge traffic where it's most needed, while not being applied to the data center where it is less needed and could add unnecessary complexity.
- Greater Protection
- The new AppID engine includes a heuristics engine optimized for identifying evasive or tunneled applications. This feature is important for blocking risky applications such as peer-to-peer applications or adding control over social, video and communications applications such as Skype™ or BitTorrent®. AppID will also identify nearly twice as many unique applications as before.
- Firefly Perimeter, Juniper's virtual firewall, now supports NGFW capabilities like IPS and UTM. These services enable Firefly Perimeter customers to layer additional levels of security into their networks to protect against exploits trying to compromise weaknesses in applications and protect against malware, spam and other content-based threats.
- Open Solution for Customization:
- Juniper Networks NGFW solution is open to customization by customers to meet specific security needs. AppID and IPS signatures are written in an open language so customers can write their own signatures that may not be in the standard application database. This offers a unique ability for customers to insert signatures for their custom-built applications or add IPS signatures to protect against exploits they discover. This capability helps organizations increase the amount of control they have over home grown application traffic in their network and it enables increased protection against exploits targeting these custom applications. The ability to add custom app and IPS signatures is popular in financial and government use cases.
Supporting Quotes: "Juniper Networks is committed to providing enterprises with security technologies that deliver the performance, flexibility and control needed to protect against the ever-evolving threats they face. The new capabilities in our Next-Generation Firewall products give our customers even more options to manage and secure the enterprise edge with improved control and efficiency." - Nawaf Bitar, senior vice president and general manager of Security Business Unit, Juniper Networks
"As a leader in digital commerce serving tens of thousands of entrepreneurs and online merchants, ClickBank demands the highest level security solutions. Juniper Networks' Next-Generation Firewall will help simplify management and greatly enhance our security protection. Built on an open platform, the solution allows greater customization and extends the value of our security investment." - Larry Dinsmore, Network Team Lead, ClickBank
"Juniper is addressing some of the most significant challenges companies face when securing the enterprise edge by providing simple, centralized management of both virtual and physical firewalls, along with improved control over applications." - Jon Oltsik, senior principal analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group
"As our customers continue to move more of their applications and infrastructure to the cloud, they are looking for security solutions that are able to scale while providing simplified management and integration. Juniper Networks' Next Generation Firewall includes a centralized management platform, which supports both the physical SRX and virtual Firefly Perimeter. This, combined with our cloud-based managed security service, provides our customers with better security and control that requires less resources to support." - Leon de Keijzer, chief executive officer, Infradata
"Organizations are looking for high-performance and security that is easy to manage and cost effective. With Juniper Networks' Next-Generation Firewall and the Junos OS, our customers are experiencing the versatility, and unmatched performance of the solution, plus a low TCO. Juniper is a pioneer in the networking and security markets and continues to provide leading-edge security capabilities with incredible value in the data center and across the enterprise." - Mark Greer, president, Milestone Systems
"Enterprises need the ability to customize their security solutions to meet ever changing demands on the network. Juniper Networks' Next-Generation Firewall secures the edge of the network with the ability to insert signatures for their custom-built applications to protect against cyber exploits." - Mark Miller, partner with M&S Technologies
"Our customers are looking for their firewalls to do more, while at the same time being adaptable and easy to manage. Juniper Networks Next-Generation Firewall market continues to be strong thanks to advances in IP networking." - David Lesser, founder and chief executive officer, Nexum
"To keep pace with business needs, IT security administrators need to protect against cyber threats, while delivering faster time to value and a higher return on IT investments. Juniper Networks' Next-Generation Firewall is designed to provide stronger and efficient solutions with an economical entry point that will scale to the demands of their environments." - Sébastien Kher, founder and chief executive officer, Nomios France
- Juniper SRX Series Services Gateways: http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/security/srx-series/
- Juniper blog: Who's on first? What's on second? With Next Generation Firewalls
- Juniper.net Community: www.juniper.net/community
- Juniper on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Junipernetworks
- Juniper on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JuniperNetworks
About Juniper Networks in Security Juniper Networks builds secure and trusted networks with end-to-end security across every environment -- from the data center to campus and branch environments and to the device itself. Our security solutions give enterprise and service provider customers a competitive advantage as they set out to build the best networks on the planet.
About Juniper Networks Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) delivers innovation across routing, switching and security. From the network core down to consumer devices, Juniper Networks' innovations in software, silicon and systems transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logo are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
(1)Gartner "Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Network Firewalls" by Greg Young, Adam Hils, and Jeremy D'Hoinne, April 15, 2014.
Statements in this press release concerning Juniper Networks' prospects, future products and prospective benefits to customers are forward-looking statements that involve a number of uncertainties and risks. Actual results or events could differ materially from those anticipated in those forward-looking statements as a result of certain factors, including delays in scheduled product availability, the company's failure to accurately predict emerging technological trends, and other factors listed in Juniper Networks' most recent report on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All statements made in this press release are made only as of the date of this press release. Juniper Networks undertakes no obligation to update the information in this release in the event facts or circumstances subsequently change after the date of this press release. Any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification that may be referenced in this press release are for information purposes only, are subject to change at any time without notice and are not commitments to deliver any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification. The information contained in this press release is intended to outline Juniper Networks' general product direction and should not be relied on in making a purchasing decision.