Opportunities Abound for Machine-to-Machine Technologies in the Government Sector
These are all phrases developed by marketers to describe the concepts underlying machine-to-machine, or connected machine, technologies. Essentially, machine-to-machine is defined as a device that captures or monitors an event that is then routed over a network to a centralized application that captures the data so it can be analyzed to derive meaningful and actionable information.
While discussion abounds about the industrial and consumer applications for connected machines, limited focus has been made on how this technology can be applied to public sector organizations.
In a January 2014 market analysis report titled “Worldwide Internet of Things Spending by Industry Sector 2014-2017 Forecast” (Document #245917), IDC reports that the overall global Internet of Things market will grow from $5.4 trillion in 2013 to $7.3 trillion in 2017.
Public sector will play a significant role in this growth. By 2017, the public sector market is predicted to grow to $1.7 trillion, making it the third largest vertical segment behind consumer and manufacturing. Major drivers within public sector (which includes healthcare) will be smart city initiatives, public transportation, public safety and military, as well as health monitoring, mHealth projects, health and wellness applications.
Following are some key areas where connected machine technology can be leveraged by government agencies to increase operational efficiencies, improve decision making, integrate information management to gauge enterprise performance, monitor assets and personnel in near real-time and enhance the collection of actionable intelligence.
- Fleet Management: Monitor activity and performance, and manage route efficiency.
- Logistics and Asset Tracking: Automate processes to track location, usage and condition of resources.
- Digital Signage: Gain visibility into road and traffic conditions, keep motorists and personnel informed, and reduce emissions.
- Energy Management: Support diverse Smart City and Smart Building initiatives for transportation and energy and more to improve sustainability and reduce costs.
- Self-Serve Kiosks: Enhance the delivery of customer service, boost constituent engagement and offer efficient bill-pay options.
- Field Force Management: Gather real-time insights into the activities and performance of field-based employees, and automate reporting requirements to drive efficiency.
- Health and Human Services: Enable remote monitoring of patients through mHealth solutions to help improve outcomes and reduce costs.
- Operational Monitoring: Extend awareness, control and information sharing to mitigate threats to citizens, national borders and critical infrastructure through enhanced situational awareness.
- Environmental Monitoring: Automate the collection of air and water quality data, weather conditions and the condition of facilities, including dams and waterways.
- Public Safety: Collect and share real-time data and video feeds to improve response times and safety of first responders and citizens.
Verizon Enterprise Solutions offers a broad portfolio of machine-to-machine solutions, including a comprehensive array of consulting services. To explore the possibilities for public sector, visit one of the websites listed below.
- Federal: http://www.verizonenterprise.com/industry/public_sector/federal/sol/m2m/
- State and Local: http://www.verizonenterprise.com/industry/public_sector/state_local/
- Education: http://www.verizonenterprise.com/industry/public_sector/education/k_12/
- Public Safety: http://www.verizonenterprise.com/industry/public_sector/public_safety/
- Consulting Services: http://www.verizonenterprise.com/products/m2m/