Local economy to benefit from greater access to secure, high-speed services and applications
HANOVER, Md., U.S.A. and SAINT JOHN, N.B. — 05/27/2014
F6 Networks is leveraging Ciena’s (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings) converged packet optical and packet networking solutions to deliver high-capacity broadband connectivity between Saint John and Fredericton, New Brunswick. With this new 100G network, F6 Networks is addressing growing demand for broadband connectivity throughout the province, bringing more scalable and secure communication services to users to help drive sustainable economic development. F6 will also introduce 10Gb and 1Gb Ethernet services to New Brunswick, responding to the bandwidth needs of the region’s major metropolitan hubs.
- F6 Networks is building an open access, dark fibre network that provides broadband connectivity between Atlantic Canada and the Northeastern United States for public sector organizations, private enterprises, Internet services providers and wireless carriers.
- With Ciena’s E-Suite family, including the 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, F6 will deliver 100G services to regional customers. F6 will also offer compact and high-capacity metro aggregation using Ciena’s Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) CE2.0-certified 5142 Service Aggregation Switches.
- In addition, F6 will deliver 10GbE and 1GbE services to customers in Saint John and Fredericton powered by Ciena’s CE2.0-certified 3916 and 3930 Service Delivery Switches. Ciena’s Service-Aware Operating System (SAOS) will provide zero-touch provisioning, line-rate service activation testing, and remote troubleshooting – all of which help to reduce operating costs for F6 while improving user experience.
- Leveraging Ciena’s OPⁿ® network architecture with both Packet-Optical and Packet Networking platforms, this deployment enables F6 to respond to new business opportunities in areas such as cloud connectivity and Ethernet business services, or wholesale mobile backhaul and dark fiber services. For example, F6 recently announced a collaboration with CANARIE, Canada’s national research and education network, to support network-enabled research at post-secondary institutions throughout northern New Brunswick.
- “To thrive in the global economy, Atlantic Canada must maintain a telecommunications infrastructure that is both world-class and cost-effective. F6 is part of a growing tech community striving to drive economic development, job creation and quality of life in the region and Ciena’s platforms position us to meet this goal.”
- Eric Morin, chief technology officer, F6 Networks
- “Bringing down the cost-per-bit of connectivity and creating services that are responsive to the needs of local business can help spur growth and economic development. Ciena’s programmable network architectures are built on a comprehensive platform of packet-optical and packet networking technologies that can scale and adapt. Our goal is to help service providers like F6 respond to the demands of their customers, connecting local communities to global markets.”
- Ken McIver, vice president, regional sales, Ciena
- Webinar: Convergence: Combine and Conquer
- Product Overview: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Product Overview: E-Suite
- Application Note: Enabling a Bigger and Smarter Network with WaveLogic 3
- Chalk Talk Video: WaveLogic 3
About F6 Networks
F6 Networks delivers Connect Solutions that enable our customers to build more robust, secure, and cost-effective networks. F6 owns and operates an open access, high capacity fibre network that now connects New Brunswick to the Northeast US and will soon connect Nova Scotia and Quebec. F6 offers our solutions to public organizations and private enterprises, combining best-in-class technology with superior design and engineering. To learn more about F6 visit our website at www.f6networks.ca.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/company/ciena. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 7, 2014. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(877) 243 6273
Ryan Saxby Hill