Solution allows service providers and enterprises to rapidly change network topology and computing resources for cloud bursting, disaster recovery and capacity-on-demand
LAS VEGAS, Nv. — 05/2/2014
Next week’s EMC World 2014 event in Las Vegas will feature a new solution developed by Ciena® (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings) and Brocade (NASDAQ: BRCD) that provides dynamic resource provisioning for cloud networking. With these capabilities, service provider and enterprise organizations can benefit from a more agile and automated cloud data center infrastructure for greater IT agility and dynamic cloud application performance. For example, many businesses, such as retailers during holiday shopping or promotions, must manage unpredictable peak workloads. The Ciena-Brocade solution enables such businesses to maintain quality of service, while effectively handling peak workloads and online activity, by automatically flexing to adjust processing and bandwidth levels.
- This jointly-developed solution exemplifies the attributes of Ciena’s OPⁿ® architecture by enabling data center and WAN orchestration over open APIs (application programming interfaces), creating an ecosystem designed to provide an on-demand experience that addresses the need for changing architecture needs. It also complements network-data center orchestration integrations already supported by Ciena’s V-WAN solution and MyAdapter applications. Ciena’s OPⁿ architecture is specifically structured to facilitate network integration with the data center to transform connect, compute and store into a programmable platform for a variety of new services.
- EMC attendees can visit Ciena’s booth (#502) or Brocade’s booth (#302) and learn how the solution enables the network to automatically respond to changes in traffic or application response times and orchestrate and burst workloads to on-demand cloud resources in a matter of seconds, for cloud bursting, disaster recovery and capacity-on-demand.
- Ciena and Brocade will also show how seamless integration of virtual machine (VM) creation with network services helps ensure adherence to service level agreements (SLAs). In addition, the solution allows separate polices of each application to be maintained allowing fine-grained tuning of thresholds and actions, and the ability to expand or contract resources to align with changing conditions, under policy and with security.
- Available today, the Ciena-Brocade solution enables elastic compute and transport network resource allocation, leveraging the Brocade Application Resource Broker (ARB) to automate resources between data centers and Ciena’s V-WAN application for dynamic network transport. It also enables customers to dynamically change network topology and computing resources in a matter of seconds, in any location.
- “Organizations are just starting to embrace the cloud for mission critical applications. To ensure success, they need to automate the deployment of compute, storage and networking resources between data centers, and data centers to the cloud, with open networking solutions that deliver greater agility and dynamic application performance. Our work with Brocade complements the cost and operational benefits of our OPⁿ architecture approach.”
- Steve Alexander, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Ciena
- “The demands placed on the network today are escalating at an astounding rate that requires organizations of all types to have a more agile and automated infrastructure. Brocade and Ciena have developed a joint, multilayer solution that leverages the Brocade Application Resource Broker to dynamically automate resources between data centers in seconds, increasing flexibility and controlling capital costs.”
- Ken Cheng, CTO and VP Corporate Development and Emerging Business, Brocade
- Solutions Brief: Ciena and Brocade Elastic Compute Resource Allocation and Network Transport
- White Paper: Cloud Use Cases for On-Demand Networking
- White Paper: OPn Network Architecture
- White Paper: OPn Software Transformation
- Video: Brocade Application Resource Broker (ARB)
Brocade (NASDAQ: BRCD) networking solutions help the world's leading organizations transition smoothly to a world where applications and information reside anywhere. (www.brocade.com)
ADX, Brocade, Brocade Assurance, the B-wing symbol, DCX, Fabric OS, ICX, MLX, MyBrocade, OpenScript, VCS, VDX, and Vyatta are registered trademarks, and HyperEdge, The Effortless Network, and The On-Demand Data Center are trademarks of Brocade Communications Systems, Inc., in the United States and/or in other countries.
Other brands, products, or service names mentioned may be trademarks of their respective owners.
© 2014 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/company/ciena. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 7, 2014. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(877) 243 6273