Mobily is the first customer to deploy Alcatel-Lucent’s new virtualized RAN aimed at helping mobile operators become more efficient, responsive and innovative
Paris, May 27, 2014
Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and Mobily Saudi Arabia today announced the first deployment globally of virtualized radio access network (RAN) software from Alcatel-Lucent’s Network Function Virtualization (NFV) portfolio launched during Mobile World Congress 2014.
Mobily is deploying Alcatel-Lucent’s 9771 Wireless Cloud Element Radio Network Controller (WCE RNC) to improve service performance, reliability, scale and operational efficiency. The Saudi telecom market is one of the most competitive in the Middle East, with more than 51 million mobile subscribers in a country that has a population of 27.3 million.
- Mobily is the first service provider globally to deploy Alcatel-Lucent’s virtual RAN software using the lightRadio™ 9771 Wireless Cloud Element Radio Network Controller (WCE RNC).
- Alcatel-Lucent’s WCE RNC is part of the recently announced suite of Virtualized network functions. The NFV portfolio combines the company’s networking technical acumen with its cloud capabilities to help guide customers through the complex virtualization journey without compromising operational performance and integrity.
- Running virtual radio network control functions over open, carrier-grade platforms provides considerable advantages over traditional approaches greatly facilitates advanced RNC requirements for geo-redundancy, near zero downtime maintenance and software upgrades, load balancing, and dynamic reconfiguration.
- This new platform underpins Alcatel-Lucent’s virtualized LTE RAN activities which most recently included a proof of concept demonstration with China Mobile at Mobile World Congress 2014.
Alaa Malki ( Ag . Mobile Network CTO of Mobily ) said: “Our team worked very closely with Alcatel-Lucent to assure adopting the new technologies to maximize the network effecency which is part of Mobily strategy and to use ALU cloud-based control solution. We have a very technologically sophisticated customer base and we need to stay at the forefront of technological innovation to provide the level of experience that will keep them satisfied. To that end we have achieved our first goal and we look forward to the improved virtualized RNC performance, reliability and scale.”
Amr K. El-Leithy, President of Alcatel-Lucent’s Middle East, Africa, Turkey and Azerbaijan region said: “This is the first deployment anywhere for the virtual RNC by Alcatel-Lucent and it authoritatively demonstrates that carrier-grade cloud network solutions is a reality. Today, we have achieved a significant milestone with our virtual controller now handling live traffic in Mobily’s commercial network. Our accelerated investments in virtualized RAN applications are clear proof point that we have all the elements to help operators create an open agile, efficient cloud environment at a speed that meets their individual needs. ”
Mobily, the brand name of Etihad Etisalat, took its first step in becoming the Kingdom’s monopoly-breaking mobile operator when it won a tender against five other competing consortiums in the summer of 2004. Mobily paid SAR 12.21 billion for its GSM license and paid a subsequent SAR 753.75 million for its 3G license in early 2005. Mobily listed on Tadawul (the Saudi stock market) in December 2004 with an initial public offering (IPO), that was 51 times oversubscribed.
Market leadership, highlights
- Mobily was the World’s first operator to launch TD-LTE.
- Has largest active HSPA base in the Middle East and North Africa region
Media Contact for Mobily
Mohamed Mohamed Anani
Media Relations Support Officer
Tel: +966 56 03 12 858
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
We are at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, and to enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning us in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of the Group and one of the world’s foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Our innovations have resulted in our Group being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012’s Top 50 “World’s Most Innovative Companies”. We have also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader in the Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review, for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the Group’s mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2013, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.