DTAC build mobile broadband foundation for more than 28 million mobile subscribers in Bangkok and throughout Thailand
Paris, April 22, 2014
DTAC, one of Thailand’s largest mobile operators, has chosen Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) Agile Optical Networking to upgrade its existing 3G network and lay the foundation for a 4G LTE network that will eventually deliver ultra-broadband mobile access to more than 40 percent of the Thai population.
Deployment of the 100 gigabit-per-second (Gbps) optical network is already under way in Bangkok, the Thai capital and a major regional financial hub, with expansion to other parts of Thailand to continue throughout 2014.
Thailand currently has more than 93 million mobile subscribers – approximately 1.3 mobile devices for everyone in its total population of 68.4 million people. Along with the addressing annual domestic data subscriber growth of 17% in 2013, the new DTAC network will also be able to handle the large number of tourists visiting Thailand, generating even more data traffic.
- DTAC is deploying Alcatel-Lucent’s 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS) converged Wave Division Multiplexing/Optical Transport Network (WDM/OTN) platform first in Bangkok, one of the most visited cities in the world and a major business center for the region.
- New optical network will support DTAC’s mobile subscription growth rate of 6 percent per year plus the large number of visitors bringing their own devices into the country, providing all users with fast broadband needed for increasingly sophisticated high-bandwidth mobile services such as streaming video and data-enstives applications.
- DTAC is also deploying Alcatel-Lucent’s intelligent generalized multiprotocol label switching (GMPLS) Control Plane that ensures automated network operation and the highest level of service protection for maximum reliability.
- Included in the 1830 PSS is Wavelength TrackerTM technology which provides an integrated view of all wavelengths across DTAC’s network making it easier to monitor performance and identify problem areas.
Mr. Panya Vechbanyongratana, Senior Vice President, Network Operations Division, Total Access Communication PLC or dtac said: “This is the first deployment of 100G GMPLS in Thailand which enables us to offer our expanding roster of customers, and especially smartphone users, the best possible service. Alcatel-Lucent’s technology will also allow us to make a smooth and cost-effective transition to 4G when the time is right.
Sebastien Laurent, President and Managing Director for Alcatel-Lucent in Thailand, said: “Our 100G technology, which is proven in the global market, is allowing DTAC to greatly expand the capacity of its network and improve customer experience while decreasing its total cost of ownership. At the same time, we are supplying DTAC with a platform that is flexible enough to expand capacity further to 400G speeds down the road.”
- Agile Optical Networking
- The Alcatel-Lucent single-carrier 100G coherent solution (website)
- The Alcatel-Lucent single-carrier 100G coherent solution (video)
- 400G Photonic Service Engine (website)
- Paving the way the world’s first commercial 400G coherent solution (video)
- Alcatel-Lucent 1830 PSS photo
Total Access Communication Public Company Limited or dtac is a leading mobile network operator in Thailand, currently serving over 27.9 million subscribers. It was founded in August 1989, and, for the last ten years, has accumulatively invested over 144 billion baht in Thailand to strengthen its business by continuously upgrading its technology and improving the quality of its service. For more information about dtac (The Stock Exchange of Thailand symbol: DTAC), please visit www.dtac.co.th.
DTAC press contact:
On-Uma Vattanasuk Rerkpattanapipat email@example.com
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
We are at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, and to enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning us in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of the Group and one of the world’s foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Our innovations have resulted in our Group being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012’s Top 50 “World’s Most Innovative Companies”. We have also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader in the Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review, for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the Group’s mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2013, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.