Hybrid Solution Provides Open Standards-Driven Interoperability to Enable Enterprises With Real-Time Adaptive Mitigation That Protects Against Both High-Volume and Targeted Application-Level DDoS Attacks
SUNNYVALE, CA–(Marketwired – Mar 17, 2014) – Juniper Networks (NASDAQ:JNPR, news, filings), the industry leader in network innovation, has teamed with Verisign to provide a hybrid solution for DDoS protection that effectively combats the growing diversity of DDoS attacks. The solution consists of network and application-layer protection provided by Juniper’s on-premise DDoS Secure and Verisign’s cloud-based DDoS Protection Service. The hybrid solution adjusts the parameters used for identifying and filtering potentially malicious traffic based on the response and performance of the protected applications.
DDoS attacks continue to grow both in size and sophistication, making them one of the major cyber security risks for businesses of all sizes across all verticals. The unprecedented scale of high-volume attacks, which leverage massive amounts of traffic to overwhelm network resources — combined with targeted low-bandwidth attacks on applications — makes the DDoS threat diverse and difficult to protect against. While many organizations have started to adopt DDoS protection, they often find themselves needing to make a series of trade-offs in architectural deployment, capabilities and traffic thresholds that ultimately could lead to increased cost and reduced efficacy.
The Juniper and Verisign hybrid solution provides technologies from both companies to enable both on-premise and cloud-based DDoS protection for customers.
- Real-Time Adaptive Mitigation:
- Juniper DDoS Secure intelligently monitors the health of protected services and applications that reside in the data center, stopping low and slow attacks locally with a sub-second time of detection to mitigation response.
- When an attack is determined to exceed the network capacity at the data center edge, mitigation moves to Verisign’s globally connected, fully redundant cloud-based platform to provide comprehensive protection against network and application layer attacks.
- The solution proactively adjusts the security posture continuously based on coordinated local and global risk assessment. Verisign iDefense analysts actively monitor indicators of attacks, in order to assist Verisign’s DDoS protection engineers in creating new signatures for new attacks, while Juniper DDoS Secure heuristics engine inspects both inbound and outbound traffic to calculate local risk.
- The solution provides customers flexible deployment choices to suit their individual business risk profiles, scaling to support the largest enterprise network with geographically diverse footprints.
- Joint Collaboration for Enhanced Integration:
- The companies have entered into an agreement to create a next-generation hybrid DDoS offering, intended to enable more comprehensive, automated DDoS protection in increasingly heterogeneous environments that span public, private and hybrid clouds.
- Open Standards for DDoS Protection in Heterogeneous Environments:
- The companies further plan to define and promote open source standards for communication between dedicated, on-premise DDoS mitigation devices and cloud-based solutions.
- Standards-driven interoperability should promote wider adoption of effective, intelligence-driven DDoS mitigation systems that meet business needs and should free customers from proprietary vendor lock-in.
“The joint Juniper Networks and Verisign solution will help customers improve time to mitigation by quickly handling low-volume attacks with on-premise hardware, while still offering the added security of back-up in the cloud for large-scale and extremely complex attacks. Access to both approaches is important to ensure a comprehensive DDoS solution that is adaptable and can handle all types of attacks faster and more efficiently.”
– Christina Richmond, program director, Security Services, IDC
“DDoS can happen anytime and can cripple an organization. Addressing today’s complex DDoS threats requires a different approach than the static and purely reactive methods of the past that are resource-intensive and operationally challenging. Companies today need high-IQ networks that are automated and adaptive and that can deliver real-time and efficient detection and mitigation to ensure their network and applications are ‘always on.’ No one can deliver on those requirements as well as Juniper and Verisign together.”
– Kevin Kennedy, senior director, product management, Security Business, Juniper Networks
“In today’s network-dependent world, DDoS solutions must be able to detect and mitigate zero day threats and large-scale attacks to help businesses of all types and sizes stay secure, stable and available. Our hybrid approach makes this possible by helping to ensure immediate mitigation on-premise with Juniper and in the cloud with Verisign, thereby quickly addressing attacks while also providing the extra bandwidth needed for mitigation as those attacks ramp up.”
– Sean Leach, vice president of technology, Verisign
- About Juniper DDoS Secure
- Juniper Networks DDoS White Paper
- About Verisign DDoS Protection
- Juniper Networks & Verisign Solution Infographic
About Juniper Networks in Security
Juniper Networks builds secure and trusted networks with end-to-end security across every environment — from the data center to campus and branch environments and to the device itself. Our security solutions give enterprise and service provider customers a competitive advantage as they set out to build the best networks on the planet.
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) delivers innovation across routing, switching and security. From the network core down to consumer devices, Juniper Networks’ innovations in software, silicon and systems transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
Statements in this press release concerning Juniper Networks’ prospects, future products and prospective benefits to customers are forward-looking statements that involve a number of uncertainties and risks. Actual results or events could differ materially from those anticipated in those forward-looking statements as a result of certain factors, including delays in scheduled product availability, the company’s failure to accurately predict emerging technological trends, and other factors listed in Juniper Networks’ most recent reports on Form 10-K and 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All statements made in this press release are made only as of the date of this press release. Juniper Networks undertakes no obligation to update the information in this release in the event facts or circumstances subsequently change after the date of this press release. Any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification that may be referenced in this press release are for information purposes only, are subject to change at any time without notice and are not commitments to deliver any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification. The information contained in this press release is intended to outline Juniper Networks’ general product direction and should not be relied on in making a purchasing decision.
PR Archives: Latest, By Company, By Date