Taiwanese Airline Deploys MetaFabric Architecture for Its Data Center Network to Better Support Virtualized Operations
TAIPEI, TAIWAN–(Marketwired – Mar 18, 2014) – Juniper Networks (NASDAQ:JNPR, news, filings), the industry leader in network innovation, today announced that EVA AIRWAYS CORPORATION (TWSE: 2618) has successfully deployed a high-IQ network to support its data center and campus operations based on Juniper’s high-performance Ethernet switches. Juniper’s next-generation switching infrastructure has enabled the airline to increase the performance, reliability and scalability of its network while simplifying operations and reducing costs.
Since its launch in 1991, EVA AIR has grown to become Taiwan’s second largest airline, serving 73 domestic and international destinations with a fleet of 61 passenger and freight-only aircraft. The EVA AIR Group also includes airline catering, ground handling and aviation engineering services. To accommodate EVA AIR’s continued growth, the airline opted to employ Juniper Networks® MetaFabric™ Architecture for its data center upgrade.
- MetaFabric simplifies and accelerates the deployment and delivery of applications within and across multiple data center locations, enabling the airline to transition to a cloud computing model seamlessly to meet the explosive growth in application demand, while ensuring improved levels of network performance and management following the company’s recent data center consolidation.
- EVA AIR also selected Juniper Networks EX Series Ethernet Switches to replace all of its complex access network switches and legacy three-layer architecture within its headquarters complex, creating a more manageable, scalable and functional infrastructure.
- Juniper Networks switches and routers have been deployed using Virtual Chassis technology, enabling the products to operate as a single logical device with a single IP address. This creates a single-layer switch fabric with massive capacity and high density wire-speed with 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) ports, allowing direct connection of EVA AIR’s virtual machine hosts and supporting low-latency connections between virtual machines across the data centers.
- With Juniper’s Virtual Chassis technology, EVA AIR’s network administrators have significantly reduced the number of logical devices they must monitor and control. Given that all of its switches run on the Juniper Networks Junos® operating system, the airline is able to orchestrate configuration changes across the infrastructure in a highly automated, streamlined manner.
“We’ve traditionally been a single vendor shop when it comes to networking but when we looked at the options for implementing a next-generation switching infrastructure, the Juniper Networks solution was compelling. We now have a single-layer, low-latency 10 Gigabit data center fabric, which is optimal for virtualized operations, with massive capacity so there’s no need for an aggregation layer in the campus network. And from a network administration standpoint, life is so much simpler because we just have a handful of devices to manage from the single console and we’re also benefitting from considerably reduced space and power footprints.”
-Stan Fang, executive vice president, Computer Division EVA AIRWAYS CORPORATION
“The airline industry is a tough business to be in, with very tight margins, and both internal and external customers expect non-stop online services. EVA Air is now in a position to fully leverage the benefits of data center virtualization to provide service more efficiently, reliably and cost-effectively. Thanks to Juniper’s radical simplification of the network, the company may now reap the economical benefits of a cutting edge network.”
-Mike Marcellin, senior vice president of Strategy and Marketing, Juniper Networks
- Juniper.Net Community: www.juniper.net/community
- Juniper on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Junipernetworks
- Juniper on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JuniperNetworks
About Juniper Networks in Switching
Juniper Networks is one of the fastest growing providers of Ethernet switching since entering the market in 2008. We have pioneered technologies across our switching portfolio, such as Virtual Chassis, to provide customers with an open, standards-based infrastructure that delivers the simplicity, scale and performance they need. Whether in the data center or the campus, our switching solutions give customers a competitive advantage as they set out to build the best networks on the planet.
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) delivers innovation across routing, switching and security. From the network core down to consumer devices, Juniper Networks’ innovations in software, silicon and systems transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.