Regional Healthcare Provider Deploys a High-IQ Network to Simplify and Scale Data Center Operations Supporting Life-Critical Applications
SUNNYVALE, CA--(Marketwired - Mar 19, 2014) - Juniper Networks (NASDAQ:JNPR, news, filings), the industry leader in network innovation, today announced that Catholic Health System, a non-profit healthcare system that provides medical services to Western New Yorkers across numerous care centers and hospitals, has deployed Juniper Networks data center solutions to support mission-critical healthcare applications.
With approximately 1,000 acute care beds and 8,600 employees catering to acute care, primary care, long-term care, and lab and rehab services across 14 sites, Catholic Health required a reliable and secure, high-capacity network to support its electronic medical records (EMR) and medical imaging systems. Facing an aging legacy network and a flat budget, Catholic Health turned to Juniper for a cost-effective, easy-to-manage solution that could accommodate the organization's growing use of EMR without negatively impacting the performance and availability of other critical healthcare applications. After a rigorous competitive evaluation, Catholic Health chose Juniper Networks based on its ability to greatly simplify the configuration and management of the network, enabling Catholic Health to deliver technology-enabled patient care through high-IQ networks.
Catholic Health implemented Juniper Networks® MetaFabric™, an open standards-based architecture for next-generation data centers, to deliver unparalleled levels of patient care in a simple, secure and flexible way.
- Simple: Catholic Health chose to deploy Juniper Networks chassis-based switches within the core and top-of-rack switches within two data centers. The switches were deployed in Virtual Chassis configurations, which allow them to be interconnected and managed as a single, logical device. By deploying its switching platforms across multiple data centers, Catholic Health is experiencing the benefits of operational simplicity, greater network availability and easier network management.
- Secure: As a healthcare provider, protecting patient data is of utmost importance for Catholic Health. To safeguard confidential and sensitive information, Catholic Health has also implemented a comprehensive portfolio of Juniper Networks security solutions, including advanced network firewall technologies, as well as remote access and intrusion detection and prevention appliances. These solutions, working in conjunction with the Juniper data center products, provide Catholic Health physicians, clinicians and staff with secure, integrated network access from any Catholic Health facility.
- Flexible: To automate network operations and gain greater control over the network, Catholic Health uses Junos Space Network Director, which allows network administrators to manage both physical and virtual environments in the data center and ensure that network policies follow workloads as they traverse the network.
"At Catholic Health, our mission is to provide our patients with a positive patient care experience. Technology is a huge enabler of better care. By providing our staff with an easily adaptable and agile network, we are allowing for our patients to receive pinpointed and effective healthcare. As a top 100 integrated healthcare system, Catholic Health is proud of the opportunities and advancements we are able to bring to healthcare through effective technology."
-Pete Capelli, vice president of IT for network and infrastructure, Catholic Health
"The healthcare industry is facing significant challenges with implementing EMR and PAC apps and supporting BYOD on aging legacy networks. By employing the principles of Juniper's MetaFabric architecture, Catholic Health is able to realize the benefits of a comprehensive data center solution that seamlessly integrates core and edge switching with security to allow it to deliver an unparalleled user experience every time."
-Mike Marcellin, senior vice president of Strategy and Marketing, Juniper Networks
- Case study: "Powered by a Simplified Data Center Network, Catholic Health Delivers High Quality, Efficient Healthcare"
- Juniper Communities: www.juniper.net/social
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) delivers innovation across routing, switching and security. From the network core down to consumer devices, Juniper Networks' innovations in software, silicon and systems transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logo and MetaFabric are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.