Motive’s Network Analyzer and VDSL2 technology helping Telenor increase performance of next-generation access networks
Paris, March 05, 2014
Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) today announced that Telenor has selected the Motive Network Analyzer as part of a recently announced plan to modernize its access network in Norway. Telenor is using Alcatel-Lucent’s Motive Network Analyzer to continuously monitor broadband connections, provide efficient troubleshooting capabilities when issues arise, and optimize every one of the connections provided to Telenor’s 500,000 broadband subscribers.
Telenor’s network modernization plans also include deployment of Alcatel-Lucent’s VDSL2 technology to upgrade the existing broadband copper infrastructure to enable higher data speeds over DSL and meet demand for superfast broadband to deliver applications like video-on-demand and online gaming. Deployment of the VDSL2 technology is currently under way and Telenor expects to have 500,000 DSL lines migrated to the new platform by 2015.
- Telenor will also use the Motive Network Analyzer to reduce operational and capital expenses, by continuously monitoring broadband connections and by providing more efficient troubleshooting capabilities when issues arise.
- The Motive Network Analyzer manages more than 80 million access lines around the world — regardless of the vendor providing the access network technology, thanks to its Multi Vendor Plug-In (MVP) functionality — and is a part of the products available under the Motive portfolio of Customer Experience Solutions (CXS).
- Telenor’s deployment of the Motive Network Analyzer also includes the Upgrade Predictor, which calculates the highest possible speed for each customer.
- The VDSL2 technology includes Dynamic Line Management (DLM) to optimize higher speeds over Telenor’s 500,000 existing DSL access lines.
- As Alcatel-Lucent continues to implement The Shift Plan, the industrial strategy to reposition the company as a specialist vendor of IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access, deployments such as with Telenor underscore the company’s portfolio of technologies enabling telecommunications operators to deliver superfast Internet access to households and enterprises alike.
Terje Foyn Johannessen, Director of Telephony & Internet for Telenor Norway: “Ensuring a better overall experience for residential customers is an important strategic initiative for Telenor and the Motive Network Analyzer tackles possible network issues at various levels — both reactively and proactively. We selected Alcatel-Lucent because we wanted the most reliable and technically advanced product on the market. Deployment of the Motive Network Analyzer and VDSL2 technology directly supports our goal to provide high speed services with high quality and stability to all our DSL subscribers.”
Luis Martinez Amago, President EMEA of Alcatel-Lucent, said: “Service providers around the world are looking to get ever-greater capacity out of their existing physical access networks, especially copper. In many cases, this means relying on lines that were not originally designed for the delivery of high-speed broadband connections. By deploying the Motive Network Analyzer, Telenor will be able to provide faster, more reliable connections for broadband subscribers. As a world-wide leader in broadband, and a long-term partner of Telenor Norway, we are excited to build further on our joint success.”
Telenor Norway is the country’s largest provider of telecommunications and data services. Via our mobile and fixed networks, we provide services in telephony, broadband and cable TV to residential and business customers across the country. We also sell services to other telecom operators. We have 4,200 employees in over 30 work locations around Norway, including Svalbard. Our headquarters are located at Fornebu in Bærum.
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
We are at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, and to enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning us in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of the Group and one of the world’s foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Our innovations have resulted in our Group being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012’s Top 50 “World’s Most Innovative Companies”. We have also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader in the Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review, for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the Group’s mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2013, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog and follow Alcatel-Lucent on Twitter @Alcatel_Lucent.
PR Archives: Latest, By Company, By Date