Transition to next-generation metro wavelength-division multiplexing network will enable SFR to address increasing customer demand for bandwidth on fixed and mobile networks
Paris, January 13, 2014 – Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) is to enable SFR, one of France’s leading telecommunications providers, to meet increasing demand for ultra-broadband access from both mobile and fixed-line customers by deploying its 1830 Photonic Service Switch as the key element of the operator’s legacy optical network transitioning to one that is all-IP transport-based.
- SFR is transforming its network to an IP-Optical converged infrastructure to address traffic growth and enable faster and less expensive deployment of new services to meet demand from residential and business customers of both fixed and mobile services
- Alcatel-Lucent is deploying its 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS) converged WDM/OTN/Packet based-platform together wit its 5620 Service Aware Manager (SAM) for seamless management for both the IP and Optical portfolio, as well as support bandwidth-hungry services such as cloud
• Alcatel-Lucent will also deliver design, professional services, installation and commissioning services
- With this new agreement Alcatel-Lucent is building on the already deployed 7360 Intelligent Services Access Manager (ISAM) and 7750 Service Routers (SR) for residential and business services completing the fixed ultra-broadband footprint for SFR
• As The Shift Plan drives Alcatel-Lucent’s industrial repositioning as a specialist vendor of IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access solutions, optical deployments such as that with SFR underline the importance of offering technology enabling both the transition to ultra-broadband access and unlocking its benefits.
Pierre-Alain Allemand of SFR said: “Customer demand for more bandwidth to their homes, their offices and everywhere else continues to grow and grow. An upgrade of our optical metro became a high priority for SFR. Alcatel-Lucent’s IP transport technology solution combined with their experience gained as a long-time supplier of technology and services made them a logical choice for the upgrade.”
Olivier Gordien of Alcatel-Lucent said: “Alcatel-Lucent and SFR have a working relationship that extends back over decades. We understand their existing network and the issues they are facing because we supplied their original SDH optical network. We are in a unique position to provide for SFR an efficient and seamless transition to IP transport cloud-optimized metro transport to enable the delivery of ultra-broadband and cloud services.”
- CORPORATE BLOG: Shift Metro Networks into High Gear
- TECH BLOG: Optical Networks light up broadband experience
- WEBSITE: Cloud-Optimized Metro solution
- WEBSITE: Agile Optical Networking
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning Alcatel-Lucent in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of Alcatel-Lucent and one of the world’s foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent innovations have resulted in the company being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012’s Top 50 “World’s Most Innovative Companies”. Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader for Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the company’s mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.