Sprint Emergency Response Team deploys staff, devices and SatCOLTs to aid local first responders and emergency personnel
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), November 20, 2013 - In the aftermath of the recent tornados that ravaged the Midwest, Sprint (NYSE:S, news, filings) is automatically crediting late fees, voice, text and data overage charges, roaming services, long distance, call forwarding and directory assistance for Sprint customers and businesses in parts of East Peoria, Metamora, Morton, Pekin, and Washington, Ill. – retroactive from Sunday, Nov. 17 and continue through Monday, Dec. 16, 2013.
Impacted customers utilizing Virgin Mobile USA or Boost Mobile, Sprint’s prepaid brands, will be provided with a usage credit. Affected customers do not need to contact Sprint in order to receive the credit.
Additionally, during this time, impacted customers will receive 50-percent discounts on select accessories at the following Sprint retail stores:
- 101 River Rd., East Peoria, Ill. 61611
- 4700 N. University St., #54, Peoria, Ill. 61614
- 200 Greenbriar Dr., Normal, Ill. 61761
As a member of the American Red Cross Annual Disaster Giving Program, Sprint also contributes in excess of $500,000 annually to help the Red Cross to be prepared before disaster strikes. This allows the Red Cross to direct our donation to where it is most needed. Sprint has joined a long list of companies across the nation in providing an annual gift that helps the Red Cross secure a reliable funding base for disaster relief services that enable the Red Cross to respond immediately, meeting the needs of individuals and families affected by disaster anywhere in the United States, regardless of cost.
To further aid with the relief efforts, the Sprint Emergency Response Team (ERT) is on the ground in Washington and Greater Tazwell County, Ill. providing agencies such as, the Illinois Emergency Management Agency, and other local first responders and emergency personnel with reliable wireless voice and secure IP data communications, including:
- Sprint® Direct Connect®: 200 handsets for one-on-one and group push-to-talk, interoperable wireless service.
- One Satellite Cell on Light Truck (SatCOLT): A mobile communication vehicle capable of enhancing wireless communication in an existing Sprint service area or providing service in a remote region where there is not existing infrastructure, including push-to-talk and data services, as well as high-speed, mobile IP data services (wired and wireless). The equipment can use terrestrial T1, microwave and/or satellite backhaul to provide an umbrella of Sprint cellular coverage and also support LAN/WAN remote networking capabilities through IP over Satellite (IPoS). Built on a Ford F-650 Super Duty chassis, the SatCOLT is fully self-contained and is transportable by road and by air. A small, dedicated team deploys responders when needed.
- The Sprint ERT Fly Away Kit: A portable satellite package configured for transport via counter-to-counter or by commercial carrier or air transport – to provide immediate broadband connectivity via a secure, IP-enabled satellite network.
Sprint ERT maintains a 24-hour hotline, 365 days a year, to rapidly address client needs. As it does following any state and federally declared national disasters, Sprint ERT is currently offering 25 mobile devices and wireless service free of charge for 14 days to state and local agencies helping with the recovery efforts.
Public safety officials seeking information about services from the Sprint Emergency Response Team should call 888-639-002 or email ERTRequests@sprint.com. Government Emergency Telecommunications Service (GETS) users should call 254-295-2220.
Sprint (NYSE:S) offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint served more than 54 million customers at the end of the third quarter of 2013 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. The American Customer Satisfaction Index rated Sprint as the most improved company in customer satisfaction, across all 47 industries, during the last five years. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.
Crystal Davis, 703-592-8139