MX Series 3D Universal Edge Router Portfolio Delivers the Industry's Fastest Services for Consumers' Mobile-, Social- and Video-Driven Lives
SUNNYVALE, CA--(Marketwired - Oct 15, 2013) - Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), the industry leader in network innovation, today announced enhancements to the SDN-readyJuniper Networks® MX Series 3D Universal Edge Routerportfolio that significantly expands system capacity, subscriber bandwidth and service performance for the world's broadest family of edge routers.
Service providers and cable operators are under pressure to increase profitability amid rising network costs. Juniper's line-card enhancements to its MX Series pack more power in the same chassis, making it an ideal platform for investment-protecting scale. This is critical, given the relentless pace of subscriber and traffic growth.
To put its tremendous throughput in perspective, the MX2020, Juniper's highest capacity MX router, can simultaneously stream high-definition video to nearly every one of California's 11.5 million households. Furthermore, it can move the equivalent of 187 times the total number of daily Vine video uploads almost instantaneously.
Powered by the Junos® operating system and the programmable Junos Trio chipset, the MX Series 3D routers deliver unprecedented performance and service scale that enables the cost effective consolidation of business and residential services. Additionally, Juniper's programmable chipset ensures long-term hardware investment protection in even the fastest-growing markets while enabling virtualized application support through Juniper's SDN strategy.
- Greater Bandwidth and Subscriber Scale: With the increased penetration of HD video, fiber access, 4G mobile networks and cloud computing, network operators must accommodate higher traffic volumes in the edge network. Juniper Networks' new line cards increase per-slot bandwidth up to 520 Gbps and offer hardware support for as many as 128,000 subscribers. This enables cost-effective subscriber concentration that accommodates growth while ensuring multi-play service quality.
- Increased System Capacity and Service Density: Juniper also introduced today a new switch fabric module that more than doubles the capacity of several key MX 3D platforms, including the widely deployed MX960 and enhanced service cards for the entire MX Series portfolio. These new service cards enable up to three times the per-slot capacity and up to four times the service density of similar modules offered by other vendors. The MX Series allows service providers and cable operators to further improve operational efficiently by consolidating appliances and applications directly on the router. Not only is the increased performance of the MX Series 3D important for new customers, but it is also gives every existing MX customer, including those that deployed the first 480G capacity MX960 six years ago, a seamless path to upgrade.
- Operational Benefits and Investment Protection: From the smallest form factors to the highest-capacity platforms, every Juniper Networks MX 3D platform supports the same Junos OS and high-performance Junos Trio programmable chipset. This allows network operators to achieve service consistency and operational excellence across the network. Importantly, enhancements announced today are compatible with tens of thousands of MX Series 3D Universal Edge platforms deployed across demanding service provider, cable and enterprise networks globally. Existing customers have a seamless upgrade path to increased bandwidth, service scale and performance. Combining these strengths with the industry's most innovative SDN capabilities, as evidenced by Juniper's Contrail SDN controller, we're delivering the industry's most fluid and agile service platform to date.
"Juniper Networks MX Series 3D continues to evolve to meet emerging business and technical requirements from the service provider edge and aggregation network to the data-center and cloud. The ability to add system capacity, subscriber density and virtualized network services to new and installed MX Series routers extends the value of the platform and enables providers to fully monetize their networks with innovative services."
- Nav Chander, research manager, IDC
"Juniper's new MPC5e line card dramatically improves subscriber and bandwidth scale and provides us with a non-disruptive, business driven evolution to address the exponential traffic and subscriber growth we are experiencing across all market segments."
- Sam Brock-Smith, CTO, Snap
"Over the years, we have deployed MX Series 3D Universal Edge Routers to meet the demand of our ever-growing customer base, and we are pleased to see Juniper offer such significant capacity and performance upgrades that will provide us with long-term investment protection and service agility to flexibly address our evolving markets"
- Artur Binczewski, Head of Network Department, PSNC
"Juniper continuously invests in their flagship MX Series. The latest enhancements significantly increase bandwidth, subscriber and service capacity as well as performance, thus enabling us to bring future-proof solutions to market and revisit current MX 3D customers with an investment protecting upgrade path."
- Ellen Winter, head of marketing communications, NK Networks and Services GmbH
"When we selected the MX Series 3D Universal Edge Routers for our network, we expected the platform to evolve with our business and technical requirements. We are pleased that Juniper is offering such significant capacity and performance upgrades that will provide us with long-term investment protection and service agility to flexibly address our evolving markets."
- Hu Guoqiang, CTO, Chengdu Dr. Peng Telecom & Media Group Co. Ltd
"Leveraging the common, feature-rich Junos operating system and the powerful Trio chipset, the MX portfolio offers customers the ability to create revenue-generating services with complete operational consistency. The MX 3D family serves the entire spectrum of needs from the smallest access aggregation needs with the MX104, up through the very high-end aggregation and core applications with the MX2020, which is the highest capacity single chassis router in the industry at 10.4Tbps. This gives network operators a single family of best-in-class products that can be leveraged in mobile and fixed businesses, and for residential and business applications."
- Paul Obsitnik, vice president, product marketing, Platform Systems Division, Juniper Networks
Relevant Juniper Blog/Video: http://juni.pr/19HcPVb
Relevant Juniper Website: http://www.juniper.net/us/en/dm/edge/service-scalability/
Juniper.Net Community: www.juniper.net/community
Juniper on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Junipernetworks
Juniper on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JuniperNetworks
About Juniper Networks in Routing
Juniper Networks was born from a willingness to challenge conventional thinking. Our routing solutions are the result of some of the industry's most groundbreaking innovations across every aspect of networking technology: in silicon, systems and software. They continue to be the industry benchmark for performance, scale and rapid services deployment, giving customers a competitive advantage as they set out to build the best networks on the planet.
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) delivers innovation across routing, switching and security. From the network core down to consumer devices, Juniper Networks' innovations in software, silicon and systems transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logo are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
Statements in this press release concerning Juniper Networks' prospects, future products and prospective benefits to customers are forward-looking statements that involve a number of uncertainties and risks. Actual results or events could differ materially from those anticipated in those forward-looking statements as a result of certain factors, including delays in scheduled product availability, the company's failure to accurately predict emerging technological trends, and other factors listed in Juniper Networks' most recent reports on Form 10-K and 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All statements made in this press release are made only as of the date of this press release. Juniper Networks undertakes no obligation to update the information in this release in the event facts or circumstances subsequently change after the date of this press release. Any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification that may be referenced in this press release are for information purposes only, are subject to change at any time without notice and are not commitments to deliver any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification. The information contained in this press release is intended to outline Juniper Networks' general product direction and should not be relied on in making a purchasing decision.