PETALUMA, Calif. & BAD HOMBURG, Germany–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Cyan (NYSE: CYNI), a leading provider of software-defined networking (SDN) and packet-optical solutions for network operators, today announced that Connectem, Mellanox® Technologies, Metaswitch Networks, and Red Hat have joined Blue Orbit, an ecosystem of partners focused on delivering real-world, multi-vendor SDN and network functions virtualization (NFV) applications. In addition, in cooperation with these new Blue Orbit partners, Cyan is demonstrating two new use cases at the Layer 123 SDN event in Bad Homburg, Germany including, for the first time, Blue Planet NFV Orchestration.
“With Blue Orbit, the SDN and NFV supplier community is really stepping forward to prove interoperability in multi-vendor environments, and demonstrate that SDN and NFV can be leveraged to perform key functions critical to network operations around the world,” said Joe Cumello, chief marketing officer, Cyan. “We welcome our newest members and look forward to the insights their participation will provide network operators looking to lessen risk and accelerate the delivery of production SDN infrastructures.”
Blue Orbit’s four new members are:
- Connectem – Connectem has developed the first ever instance of a Virtualized LTE Evolved Packet Core (EPC) with unique architectural attributes that leverages modern datacenter tools to deliver unprecedented scale, availability and performance using low cost x86 servers. This allows carriers to have a cost effective solution to address the growing demand in both signaling as well as data throughput. The company’s virtualized software is capable of addressing elasticity, scale and service velocity in the largest Mobile Broadband Networks.
- Mellanox Technologies – Mellanox is a leading supplier of high-performance end-to-end interconnect solutions for data center servers and storage systems. Mellanox’s SDN solution is an open, industry-standard platform that supports a wide range of applications and network management tasks. It incorporates different techniques for intra- and inter-server communications, provisioning, quality of service (QoS) and virtual network interface card (vNIC) management.
- Metaswitch Networks – Metaswitch is powering the transition of communication networks into a cloud-based, software-centric future. It develops openly programmable solutions that run on standard hardware or in virtualized environments and act as the key control points in elastic voice, video and data networks.
- Red Hat – Red Hat is the world’s leading provider of open source software solutions, taking a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. As the connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, and open source communities, Red Hat helps create relevant, innovative technologies that liberate resources for growth and prepare customers for the future of IT.
At Layer 123 SDN and OpenFlow World Congress, Cyan and these new Blue Orbit partners will be demonstrating the following use cases:
- Data Center to Data Center SDN Use Case with Mellanox Technologies and Red Hat: This demonstration is a variant of what Cyan first introduced in Interop Tokyo. In this case, Cyan will be demonstrating how Blue Planet can orchestrate WAN resources between two data centers and then also provide the cloud or service provider the ability to spin up distributed compute and infrastructure with virtual machines (VMs) and virtualized network resources. Cyan Blue Planet interoperates with Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform to allocate the necessary network and compute resources across Mellanox data center NICs and Switches in the data center. The capabilities being demonstrated can be offered as a service to enterprise customers or as part of internal operations.
- NFV Orchestration of vEPC (virtual evolved packet core), vRR (virtual route reflector), and vDNS (virtual domain name system) with Connectem and Metaswitch: Cyan Blue Planet NFV Orchestration allows network providers to orchestrate virtual network functions (VNFs) from multiple vendors from a single, centralized controller. This reduces function “sprawl” and simplifies the operation and instantiation of VNFs. Customers interested in viewing this demonstration must set-up an appointment by contacting Cyan at firstname.lastname@example.org.VNFs that Cyan will be demonstrating include:
a. vEPC with Connectem
b. vRR with Metaswitch
c. vDNS using Open Source Code
“Connectem is excited and encouraged by the Cyan Blue Orbit initiative to orchestrate this new world of Network Function Virtualization,” said Barry Hill, Connectem vice president, sales and marketing. “As a leader in developing and deploying solutions for NFV, Connectem is pleased to work with the Cyan team to drive further innovation in and around our Virtual EPC.”
“We are pleased to join Cyan’s Blue Orbit ecosystem,” said Eran Bello, director of business development, telecom and security markets at Mellanox. “Cyan’s Blue Planet SDN Platform combined with Mellanox 10/40/56Gb/s InfiniBand and Ethernet ConnectX®-3 adapters and SwitchX®-2 based switches enable enterprises and carriers to deploy SDN and NFV applications with near bare metal performance.”
In June 2013, Blue Orbit was formed to demonstrate interoperability among SDN and NFV solutions from an array of partners to lessen the risk network operators would otherwise face and accelerate the delivery of production SDN and NFV use cases. Blue Orbit partners provide applicable solution elements to Cyan’s California-based Blue Orbit Lab. From this facility, Cyan, Blue Orbit partners and customers are able to test and demonstrate the deployability of SDN solutions.
Blue Orbit members include Accedian Networks, Arista, Boundary, Canonical, Connectem, Cyan, Embrane, Mellanox Technologies, Metaswitch Networks, Overture Networks, Pica8, RAD, Red Hat and Ryu.
Cyan enables network transformation. The company’s software-defined network (SDN) solutions deliver orchestration, visualization, and scale to networks that, until now, have been static and hardware driven. Serving carriers, enterprises, governments, and data center operators globally, Cyan’s open platforms provide multi-vendor control and visibility to network operators, making service delivery more efficient and profitable. Cyan solutions include Blue Planet SDN and NFV orchestration software, Z-Series packet-optical transport platforms, and Cyan Pro professional services. For more information, please visit www.cyaninc.com or follow Cyan on Twitter at http://twitter.com/CyanNews.
Red Hat, the Shadowman logo, JBoss, and OpenShift are registered trademarks of Red Hat, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. Linux® is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.
The OpenStack™ Word Mark and OpenStack Logo are either registered trademarks / service marks or trademarks / service marks of the OpenStack Foundation, in the United States and other countries and are used with the OpenStack Foundation’s permission. We are not affiliated with, endorsed or sponsored by the OpenStack Foundation or the OpenStack community.
Joe Cumello, +1 410-227-7487
Merritt Group for Cyan
Melissa Chadwick, +1 571-382-8513
PR Archives: Latest, By Company, By Date