Alcatel-Lucent’s IP video and integration platforms and expertise enable Spanish cable operator to offer advanced TV services and an enhanced customer experience
Paris – September 10, 2013 – Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and Telecable, the cable TV, Internet, Telephony and Mobile service provider to the Spanish region of Asturias, are to collaborate on a project to deliver a new range of innovative IP-based ‘TV anywhere’ services that will make Telecable the first cable operator in Spain to offer advanced, cloud-based personal video recording.
Alcatel-Lucent’s IP video technology will extend the reach of Telecable’s current Pay TV service from set-top boxes to a wide range of connected devices such as smartphones, tablets, smart TVs and personal computers. It will give Telecable customers new services for connected devices like Catch-Up TV and the ability to record and store their favorite TV shows in the cloud for viewing at anytime, anywhere and on any device.
- Telecable is extending its successful Pay TV service from set-top boxes connected to TVs to multiple devices (including smartphones and tablets) to enable TV-anywhere services. As a result it will become the first cable operator in Spain to offer advanced, cloud-based personal video recording.
- Alcatel-Lucent’s systems integration capabilities ensure a smooth evolution towards IP video for Telecable and its customers, and include consulting, design, integration, deployment, configuration, operation and maintenance.
- The solution seamlessly integrates Alcatel-Lucent IP video products and innovations from selected partners with existing Telecable equipment. It includes two main components:
- A cloud platform combining thePlatform mpx and Alcatel-Lucent software modules for the management of services, subscribers, commerce and content.
- An IP video head-end for processing of time-shifted TV services such as Catch-Up TV and personal recording. This comprises:
- Multiscreen clients available on every connected device to allow Telecable customers to enjoy applications such as electronic program guides (EPG), search, recommendations and personalization features.
- Telecable will progressively roll out the new services from December 2013.
- This project aligns with Alcatel-Lucent’s focus on IP platforms as well as expanding its reach to cable operators, as outlined in The Shift Plan announced on June 19, 2013.
Alejandro Martínez-Peón, CEO of Telecable said: “Alcatel-Lucent’s experience in IP and particularly in deploying end-to-end solutions for video has solidified their role as our technology partner of choice. It is natural to work with them as we look to offer our customers an improved viewing experience with innovative cloud-based services and TV anywhere.”
Roque Lozano, President Alcatel-Lucent Spain said: “Our strong IP video technology leadership and expertise in video integration enables customers like Telecable to offer differentiated services whilst reducing costs by integrating with their current assets and installed base.”
Telecable is a comprehensive service provider, leader in the Spanish region of Asturias, supplying TV, mobile, fixed telephony and Internet services. It is a key player in the Information Society development in Asturias, and accounts for a market share of 80% in pay TV services, 50% in broadband, 30% in fixed telephony and almost 10% in mobile. Along the years Telecable has evolved and extended its services offer based on its fiber infrastructure deployed across more than 2100 kilometers in Asturias.
Established in 1995, Telecable’s commitment with the region of Asturias in the last 18 years is proved by the more than 375 million euro invested in the region and in more than a thousand employees working for the company in Asturias.
For more information, please visit Telecable at http://www.telecable.es/
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning Alcatel-Lucent in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of Alcatel-Lucent and one of the world’s foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent innovations have resulted in the company being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012’s Top 50 “World’s Most Innovative Companies”. Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being ranked Technology Supersector Leader by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index in 2012 for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the company’s mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.