AT&T will Provide In-Flight Mobility Services and Devices for More Than 19,000 Flight Attendants
Dallas, Texas, August 22, 2013
Delta Air Lines has signed a multi-year extensive agreement with AT&T* for custom mobility services, devices and support for Delta’s new, in-flight, mobile point-of-sale application designed to simplify and enhance the in-flight experience for Delta customers.
Under the agreement, AT&T will equip more than 19,000 Delta flight attendants with Nokia Lumia devices powered by Microsoft Dynamics mobile point-of-sale platform on Windows Phone 8, with a Delta-specific customer experience developed by Avanade to operate over Wi-Fi and AT&T’s 4G LTE Network. Avanade will provide Delta with ongoing support, maintenance, and application enhancements for the next three years. This in-flight solution to sell food, goods, and upgraded seats to passengers aligns with Delta’s commitment to continually improve the customer experience.
“As the industry leader in providing mobile solutions, we help move businesses forward,” said Chris Hill, Senior Vice President, Advanced Solutions, AT&T Business Solutions. “Our support of this in-flight mobile solution will help Delta deliver an enhanced and more customized flying experience to their customers.”
Features and benefits of the solution include:
- Near real-time credit card validation, which enables passengers to purchase food, drinks, and upgrade to available Economy Comfort seating in-flight. On-board Economy Comfort upgrades will begin on transcontinental and international flights before being offered on flights across Delta’s system.
- Faster workflow and ease-of-use by unifying all flight attendants on Nokia Lumia 820 devices. In addition, this agreement will see Delta Air Lines crew expanding to the newest Nokia devices over the next three years.
- Faster transaction times, expected to be significantly improved, will allow flight attendants to conduct more transactions and better tend to passengers’ needs.
AT&T's 4G LTE Network
AT&T 4G LTE covers more than 225 million people nationwide and 370 markets, and by the end of 2013, coverage is expected to expand to nearly 270 million people and more than 400 markets.
The great performance of AT&T’s fastest and most reliable 4G LTE network continues to be validated by independent third-party testing:
- AT&T now has the most reliable 4G LTE network. According to independent third-party data, AT&T has the highest success rate for delivering mobile content across nationwide 4G LTE networks.**
- Meanwhile, our 4G LTE service was recognized as having faster average download and upload speeds than any of our competitors in PCWorld/TechHive’s most recent 20-market speed tests – the second consecutive year that AT&T has ranked 1st overall. PCWorld/TechHive also ranked AT&T’s as the fastest combination of 3G and 4G services in the 20 cities it tested. ***
- And AT&T was named America’s fastest 4G LTE network in PC Magazine’s 2013 Fastest Mobile Networks 30-market study – and also swept the top rankings in all six U.S. regions from coast to coast: Northeast, Southeast, North-Central, South-Central, Northwest and Southwest. ****
In addition, RootMetrics® has awarded AT&T for strongest overall call, text, and data performance in multiple markets from January through June of this year.*****
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
** Speed claim based on comparison of national carriers' average 4G LTE download speeds for AndroidTM and Windows smartphones and iPhone 5. Reliability claim compares data transfer completion rates on nationwide 4G LTE networks. Limited 4G LTE availability in select markets. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. 4G speeds not available everywhere.
*** PCWorld/TechHive, May 23, 2013, “AT&T clocks best overall speeds with 3G/4G combo”
**** PC Magazine, June 17, 2013; http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420333,00.asp
***** Visit rootmetrics.com for more details. Performance rankings of four national wireless carriers rely on scores calculated from random samples. AT&T ranked highest or shared the highest ranking for overall performance in 66 of 125 markets tested, January-June 2013. Your experiences may vary. The RootMetrics award is not an endorsement of AT&T.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T, news, filings) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and internationally. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation’s largest 4G network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T |DIRECTV brands. The company’s suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com/aboutus or follow our news on @ATT, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/att and YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/att.
© 2013 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. 4G not available everywhere. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
Cautionary Language Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
Information set forth in this press release contains financial estimates and other forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, and actual results might differ materially. A discussion of factors that may affect future results is contained in AT&T's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. AT&T disclaims any obligation to update and revise statements contained in this news release based on new information or otherwise.