The two companies collaborate to serve those in search of work after they have served
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), June 06, 2013 - Sprint (NYSE:S, news, filings) and Clear Channel, a leading global media, digital and entertainment company, today announced plans to join forces to help U.S veterans find work after serving their country.
The two companies announced they would collaborate on “iHeartRadio Show Your Stripes” – an initiative aimed at increasing job opportunities for men and women who served in the military. The intent is to generate awareness around the issue of veteran unemployment, encourage businesses to hire skilled veterans and help those transitioning out of the military to find jobs. “iHeartRadio’s Show Your Stripes” is the single largest public service campaign in Clear Channel’s history, with over $75 million in radio, digital and out-of-home resources dedicated to the initiative in just one year.
“Veteran unemployment is an issue that needs to be addressed,” said Ben Vos, general manager-Sprint Velocity and M2M. “Too many ex-military have found lean times in the job market after serving our country. Sprint is honored to play a role as part of the solution to this issue by collaborating with Clear Channel.”
This latest collaboration with Clear Channel’s “iHeartRadio” builds on a series of previous educational and community-oriented initiatives in which Sprint has participated including:
- Distracted Driving: Both companies have a long-standing commitment to minimizing driver distraction through handset and in-vehicle solutions such as:
- Sprint Drive First, a mobile application that helps keep families and especially teens safe on the road by decreasing distractions from their smart phones while behind the wheel by automatically detecting when a phone is in a moving vehicle and placing the device in driving mode, limiting access to calls, text messages and applications.
- iHeartRadio for Auto (iHeartAuto), a made-for-driving application that provides a simple, safety-minded user-interface designed to provide seamless access to iHeartRadio’s more than 1,500 live radio stations and Custom Stations from across the country while in-vehicle.
- Mobile Entertainment: iHeartRadio is one of the key apps available on Sprint’s Entertain Me streaming app bundle, which makes it easy for customers to search for, listen to and watch what they want with Sprint’s unlimited data plans.
- Connected Vehicles: iHeartRadio, Clear Channel’s industry-leading, all-in-one digital radio service, is a key part of Sprint’s line-up of infotainment options in Sprint Velocity, a connected vehicle platform for automakers that encompasses the development, integration and marketing of in-vehicle communications systems.
“Sprint and Clear Channel share a rich history of successfully supporting public safety through anti-texting and driving campaigns,” said Jessica King, director of community engagement-iHeartRadio. “iHeartRadio’s Show Your Stripes is a great example of Clear Channel’s ability to galvanize partners across all industries to bring attention to very important issues like veteran unemployment.”
About Sprint Military Recruitment
Sprint’s military recruitment program focuses on hiring veterans, members of the Reserve and National Guard, and for transitioning active military and their spouses or other family members. Sprint is a recipient of the Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award, the highest recognition given by the U.S. government to employers for their support of employees who serve in the National Guard and Reserve. In addition, Sprint has also been recognized for eight years as a “Top 50 Military-Friendly Employer” by G.I. Jobs magazine and has been named by CivilianJobs.com as one of the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 Most Valuable Employers for Military.
About the Sprint Emerging Solutions Group
Sprint’s M2M leadership has earned prestigious third-party validation, including the Connected World’s 2013 CW 100 list of the most important and influential providers of M2M services for the ninth straight year, and the Machina Research M2M Leaderboard, where Sprint ranks ninth among the top 20 global mobile network operators (MNOs). Sprint also was honored as a key technology enabler in two Connected World Value Awards in 2012. To learn more about Sprint’s M2M offerings, visit www.sprint.com/m2m.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 55 million customers at the end of the first quarter of 2013 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. The American Customer Satisfaction Index rated Sprint as the most improved company in customer satisfaction, across all 47 industries, during the last five years. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 3 in both its 2011 and 2012 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation’s greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.
About Clear Channel Media and Entertainment
With 243 million monthly listeners in the U.S., Clear Channel Media and Entertainment has the largest reach of any radio or television outlet in America. Clear Channel Media and Entertainment serves 150 cities through 850 owned radio stations. The company’s radio stations and content can be heard on AM/FM stations, HD digital radio channels, Sirius/XM satellite, on the Internet at iHeartRadio.com and on the company’s radio station websites, on the iHeartRadio mobile application on iPads and smartphones, and used via navigation systems from TomTom, Garmin and others.
The company’s operations include radio broadcasting, online and mobile services and products, live concerts and events, syndication, music research services and independent media representation. Clear Channel Media and Entertainment is a division of CC Media Holdings, Inc. (OTCBB: CCMO), a leading global media and entertainment company.
Walter Fowler, 646-234-2122