Israeli Service Provider to Pilot Cisco's New Radio Network Topology That Combines Small Cells, Wi-Fi and Macro Technologies to Meet the Surging Demand for Mobile Data Services
SAN JOSE, Calif., and NETANYA, Israel – June 17, 2013 – Cisco announced today that it has opened an innovation center in Israel to develop and deploy a radio network topology for handling the surge in demand for mobile Internet services. Cisco is collaborating with Pelephone Communications Ltd., an Israeli telecom service provider, to test on its live production network the world's first self-optimizing heterogeneous configuration that combines small-cell, Wi-Fi and macro technologies.
The Cisco® self-optimizing network (SON) software, which automatically manages the solution, is a component of the recently announced Cisco Quantum™ software suite, an integrated suite of network management tools that give service providers such as Pelephone greater capability to efficiently monetize and optimize their networks as well as to deliver a superior experience.
- Worldwide mobile data consumption is expected to increase 13-fold by 2017; traffic patterns are becoming even more dynamic and unpredictable, with the majority of usage now shifting indoors, frequently beyond the reach of macro networks. At the same time, users demand consistent quality of service, anywhere and anytime.
- Mobile networks are becoming exponentially more complex, and their operators seek new heterogeneous network topologies that will encompass unified core, multiple radio technologies (e.g., universal mobile telecommunications system, long-term evolution, small-cell and Wi-Fi) and a SON system to orchestrate all the elements dynamically.
- Cisco has built the market's most comprehensive small-cell solution, encompassing its existing mobile core and Wi-Fi offering and bolstered by the recent acquisitions of Ubiquisys, the market leader in small-cell software, and Intucell, the market leader in SON technology.
- SON is crucial for mass-scale small-cell deployment as it can automatically integrate into the network numerous new cells and synchronize them with the existing macro network. Coexistence between small cells and the macro radio network is widely seen by mobile operators as their most pressing network topology challenge.
- Cisco acquired Intucell, a leading SON solutions provider, in February 2013 and announced the availability of software and infrastructure solutions featuring Cisco Quantum and new licensed radio technology. These elements, along with enhancements for the core mobile Internet network, demonstrate how an open, programmable, application-aware framework enables service providers to profit from data in motion.
- Gil Sharon, CEO, Pelephone
"We are always eager to innovate. We did it more than four years ago when we launched a high-speed access network and three years ago when we deployed the world's first self-optimizing network solution. Today, together with Cisco, we are delighted that the same technology will now enable us to transform our network with small cells and make it truly heterogeneous."
- Kelly Ahuja, senior vice president and general manager, Service Provider Mobility Business Group, Cisco
"Small cells have become a crucial element in any modern mobile Internet network. Without them service providers would be challenged to meet the coverage and capacity needs created by the explosion in mobile data demand and the shift of mobile traffic indoors. Through Cisco Quantum, we offer the industry's most compelling and holistic small cells proposition, stretching from the cells themselves right to the network core. We will demonstrate its capabilities with Pelephone."
Supporting Customer and Resources
- Pelephone Communications Ltd.
- Cisco Opens Up New Business Opportunities for Service Providers with Major Mobile Internet Innovations
- Cisco Quantum
- Cisco Small Cell Solutions
- Information on Cisco Service Provider Mobile Internet solutions and services
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit the SP360 Blog or follow us on Twitter @CiscoSPMobility
- Cisco Service Provider Mobility Community
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 feed
Cisco, Pelephone, Intucell, Cisco Quantum, Cisco SON, Self-Optimizing Networks, SON, Cisco Small Cell Solutions, Small Cell, mobility, mobile Internet, Wi-Fi, service providers, mobile operators, Gil Sharon, Kelly Ahuja
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Investor Relations Contacts
- John ChoiCisco Systems, Inc.+1 408 526 email@example.com
Industry Analyst Relations
- Carter CromwellCisco Systems, Inc.408 firstname.lastname@example.org