High capacity transport networks will provide backbone connectivity to enable services endorsed by the Argentinean government
Buenos Aires – May 23, 2013 – Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and Argentinean state-owned telecommunications provider, ARSAT, are taking the first steps in the deployment of a nationwide 100 gigabit per second (100G) fiber optic network that will enable high capacity data communications over two routes – one between the capital, Buenos Aires in the east and Mendoza in the west, and a second connecting Río Gallegos and Ushuaia in the south, crossing the Magellan Strait.
The coherent transport network, which is based on Alcatel-Lucent’s Agile Optical Networking technology, will enable high-capacity, high-speed distribution of data across the country. The Buenos Aires-Mendoza network will be completed this year, and will be the first phase of ARSAT’s investment plan in this project.
The networks, announced by the government in 2010, are being deployed by ARSAT. Ultimately they will provide the connectivity to enable high-speed Internet access and digital television for 97% of the people in Argentina.
- The new optical fiber links will lay the connectivity foundation for Internet access and other data services, allowing schools and other institutions to connect to online learning facilities such as a national video library and other services.
- The first network will serve major cities in Argentina including Buenos Aires, Rosario, Córdoba and Mendoza.
- Alcatel-Lucent’s Agile Optical Networking technology – on which the deployment with ARSAT is based includes 40G and 100G Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) technology on its 1830 Photonic Service Switch (1830 PSS) platform as well as the 1350 Optical Management System.
- Alcatel-Lucent’s 100G optical coherent technology leverages unique Bell Labs silicon innovations to support data speeds of 100 gigabits-per-second on each of the 88 wavelengths of an optical fiber, significantly boosting network capacity and performance.
- Under the contract, valued at approximately 7.3 million US dollars, Alcatel-Lucent will provide its leading project management services as well as training and technical assistance for five years.
Alcatel-Lucent’s Marcelo Entreconti, leader of Strategic Industries for South America said: “Alcatel-Lucent is committed to making Internet access a reality for underserved communities. We are pleased to work with ARSAT on this important project to provide our leading Agile Optical Networking 100G technology which offers a flexible, cost effective solution for the transportation of high-bandwidth data. To date we’ve deployed 100G transport solutions in 90 networks in over 45 countries and we are now ranked number one in lifetime-to-date shipments according to research firm, Dell’Oro.”
- Agile Optical Networking website
- Blog: Excuse us while we change the rules of the optical game
- 1830 PSS high resolution photo
- AON: More than Moving Light video
- AON: More than Moving Light whitepaper
ARSAT is the state-run telecommunications provider in Argentina. The company aims to provide a strategic role in implementing governmental policies in the areas of telecommunications, broadcasting and Internet, as well as to increase the provision of broadcasting, telecommunications and satellite-based services in Argentina for commercial, public, private and government-run applications.
The vision of the Company is to emerge as Argentina’s technology leaders in all forms of telecommunications and serve as a useful tool to maximize the potential of the region.
Customer Media Contact:
About Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU)
The long-trusted partner of service providers, enterprises and governments around the world, Alcatel-Lucent is a leading innovator in the field of networking and communications technology, products and services. The company is home to Bell Labs, one of the world's foremost research centers, responsible for breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry
Alcatel-Lucent innovations are regularly recognized by international institutions for their positive impact on society. In 2012 and for the second year running, Alcatel-Lucent was named one of the Thomson Reuters Top 100 Global Innovators, recognition for the company's continued addition to its world-class patent portfolio, one of the largest in the telecom industry. Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for its sustainability performance. In 2012 the company was ranked Technology Supersector Leader by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Through its innovations, Alcatel-Lucent is making communications more sustainable, more affordable and more accessible as we pursue our mission of Realizing the Potential of a Connected World
With operations throughout the world, Alcatel-Lucent is a local partner with global reach. The Company achieved revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012 and is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.